Ain't Nobody Here

Puppy training nightmare...

... but it's not Cassie that's the problem, it's OH :wall: .

She is an absolute darling and apart from when she goes into piranha mode, is such fun and so adorable. However, OH seems to have taken it personally that she's started to refuse to go for walkies with him in the morning and is a bit bitey at times (as she is with me and the boys - 22 and 24, so men really!). We deal with it the way the puppy class trainer suggested and move on. He chucks her into her crate if she doesn't stop within seconds :x .

He seems to want a dog that behaves like Riley used to without any of the hard work involved in training her how to become like that. He only seems to want her when she's sleepy and cuddly and never plays with her. His excuse is that he has no time but he's home every evening and could make time in the morning if he really wanted to. The boys agree with me that he's being ridiculous but he's so stubborn and huffy I'm not sure how to get past this.

Perhaps she just thinks he's no fun to go out with? She likes walking with me and the boys so it's not anything to do with being scared of the great outdoors (she's a very confident wee thing anyway). I've suggested I go with him tomorrow morning but he's not really said yay or nay :? .

I never thought it would be a grown man rather than a 13 week old puppy that made this so difficult :( .

How could he not want to even try to bond with her .... :(

29284909722_cefcb3f8f2_z.jpg

She is just adorable ANH but sometimes people will not bond after losing an older dog and don't want the hassle of the training they just want the new one to do as the oldie did. Maybe it is just too raw right now for him but he will get there. How could you not love that face and want to play with her. Give her a big cuddle from me.

I wonder if she picks up on his tension? They are so receptive to the vibes different people give off.

I think I would take over the walking in the mornings for now if I was you until she's a bit older and calmer.

I've had to do this with our pup as OH was so frustrated that Wilf wouldn't walk nicely using the lead method that that the puppy trainer recommended. I think he thought that because he'd done the training, that everything would click into place instantly :roll:

P.S. Wilf is 9 months old now and still going through 'Piranah mode'... ouch!

9 months :shock: . I was hoping it would pass earlier than that :lol: .

He insisted on taking her himself this morning. "What's the point of creating a false situation?" :roll: . Same outcome as before, unsurprisingly. He actually accused me of bullying him this morning :evil: . I'm trying to suggest things he could do as I can see it's making him unhappy but apparently that's "bullying".

I've told him he can deal with it his way (which will be doing nothing presumably) and we'll all carry on doing what we're doing. I don't want to fall out with him but he's being so unreceptive to anything I suggest I'm finding it hard to stay quiet.

At least me and the boys are enjoying her and having great fun on our walks. He's the one that's missing out.

Oh Dear, poor OH. I think he might still be missing Smiley Riley (which is entirely understandable) and it's so easy to forget that Riley wasn't (probably!) born Saint Riley, he became what he was as part of your loving family who taught him what's what and how to behave over his younger years. Puppies are truly adorable (particularly ones with stripey noses!) but they are VERY hard work. I think you might need to give them time to "bond" - it's going to be hard for OH to resist that stripey nose and those ears for long, I suspect ... father daughter bonding time needed!!

Oh dear... maybe he's a wee bit jealous of the bond you're creating with Cassie.

He could try taking lots of treats with him when it's his turn to walk her. She might be more inclined to go with him then :lol:

She is utterly gorgeous and totally irresistable. I'm sure he'll bond with her just as much as you and the boys soon.

I booked my OH a one on one session with the puppy trainer. It seemed to give him a bit more patience and understanding. It's slow progress with a puppy. I'm still suffering from being woken up at 5am on the dot every morning :roll:

Treat him like the naughty puppy and just ignore!

I'd take over the walking etc. yourself, if he is resenting it this will pass on to the puppy and only compound the situation of her not wanting to be around him or go for walks with him.

Puppies need consistency and if he's walking her in the wrong frame of mind it's not a good combination.

Good luck xx

Treat him like the naughty puppy and just ignore!

I like that advice :lol: .

He's not got the monopoly on missing Riley so I don't think that's a good enough reason to make no effort with Cassie! Hopefully he might agree to come to the field with me and the boys and we can show him what fun she can be.

She's so bright and picks things up really quickly, she already does sit, stay, down, wait, paw. She really is a lovely puppy - I just want him to see that in her :( .

I agree with Kinsk. Just get on with it yourself. I know it's annoying but when Cassie is older and trained they'll probably get along fine - that's what happened with my dad and my sisters dog.

I think it's probably a case of pick your battles, and this one probably isn't worth falling out over :roll:

Thinking back this is what happened with my old collie. I got him when I was still living with Mum and Dad, he was a really good boy but like any puppy had his moments. It was about 4-5 months after we'd lost our last collie and Dad was really against him to the point where there was a daily threat that one, or both of us, would have to go. It only made me more determined to put that extra work in on him which turned him into the amazing dog he became.

When it came to me moving out guess who wouldn't let him go :roll:

Just crack on and he'll come round.

Get him an excellent book by Gwen Bailey, called The Perfect Puppy - says it all really

They are like small children; you have to go through the yukky, hard bits before you get to the good, rewarding part. There are even times when you don't like them much :roll: He is also probably feeling left out because the puppy is getting all the attention and he's not :roll: this is quite common.

Training poopies is just like with kids and men - ignore the bad things reward the good things - a loving cuddle, clapped hands an lots of praise work just as well as treats. Keep training sessions short and sweet so she doesn't get bored and grumpy.

Poor thing is probably teething, which is why she's mouthing you. stuff some Kongs with a bit of liver, or mashed up Pilchards, and freeze it; she can chomp on that and it will help to soothe the pain and itching

Gorgeous pup :D:D:mrgreen:

Thanks, DM, I've seen that book mentioned, I might just get it! Edited to say, I've just downloaded it :-) .

I know what you mean about not liking them much at times! She bit me today because I had to retrieve her from inside the chicken run :shock: . The chickens didn't seem too bothered, thankfully, and she didn't seem to want to kill them :? . She's also made holes in 2 of my favourite tops :evil: . My fault for not changing into old clothes though :roll: .

Thankfully, today OH reported that she did deign to walk up the road with him so perhaps she's realising it's not worth refusing :lol: .

She's 99% gorgeous, adorable, cuddly pup and 1% piranha :D .

There are even times when you don't like them much :roll: He is also probably feeling left out because the puppy is getting all the attention and he's not :roll: this is quite common.

Even at the worst I still miss my puppy times!

As for the feeling left out he's a grown man :roll: oh sorry yes he's a grown man so it's still a possibility :lol:

Dogs do bond differently. Our female Jack Russell, despite my husband going to see the litter on his own and picking her, instantly bonded with me when she came home and is a real "mummies princess" our rottie boy is very much a Daddies boy, despite me being the one who walks him, took him to school etc.

Ooh, exciting :D . What are you getting and when :D ?

Things have settled a bit. She does seem to be happier going out with OH (although I still think he could make more of an effort with her). I did see him playing with her (after I suggested we should all make an effort) but unfortunately she bit him quite hard :shameonu: . He's not really spending enough time with her to recognise the signs and step away!

We've had to go back to basics with the toilet training - she was starting to wee (and poo!) in the house so I think we'd relaxed our routine too early. Dry house today :dance: .

It's definitely harder work than you remember time definitely makes you forget bit like having a baby :lol: We're getting a Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla bit of a change from the greyhounds so will be a totally different experience looking forward to the wirehair being more robust as my girl's skin tears easily I'm going to have to watch the baby teeth. We're picking him up next week so will make the most of the weekend.