Routledge+

Missing Chicken

I came home to find 2 of my chickens out on the grass so I lifted them back in and I realised only 1 in the pen and I'm supposed to have 6 after I put the 2 back in i went looking for the others and I found one up the park lane and another on the feild next to me.

I've been looking all night for the other one and I can't find it, does anybody know how to get it back or where to look??

Also how to stop them getting out because I've clipped there wings and they still manage to get over the fence?

I'm sorry to say but looking for your missing hen now it's dark is unlikely to bear fruit. Your best bet is to hope she's found somewhere safe to roost and that she'll come back tomorrow.

As for keeping them in, if they're flying out over the fence I guess you'll have to either increase the height of the fence or put some kind of roof on.

You don't say where you are, but if you have foxes, a fence that a chicken can get out of won't keep a fox out (unless it's electric?).

Sorry to hear some of your chickens are missing.

Did you just clip one wing or both ?

If you did both they can still flap quite well whereas clipping just one makes them lopsided.

Have tried shaking a treat tub and calling them ?

Mine always come running when they see the treats coming (except mine are already enclosed)

Have you managed to find any today ?

Fingers crossed xx

Oh dear sorry to hear about your trauma.....have she turned up today?

Earlier this year having done a run deep clean I locked my out in the garden for a while. A phone call, then a friend visiting....the menapause (that's my alibi) & I completely forgot about the girls eek

About 10pm I had this sudden thought so ran out, I found 4 of the 6 roosting in the tree but no amount of searching produce the last 2..moving on & a day later they turned up in the garden that backs onto mine :pray:

We all know how vulnerable they can be to predators but they're also quite resourceful. Make sure your nearest neighbours know you have one missing. I've heard of others turning up after a couple of days so don't lose heart

Meanwhile you can sort out the escape routes

Hi thanks for the reply everyone we looked for her this morning but there's was no sign and we have finally found her up the park lane where the other one was.

We used to clip both wings but now we have realised that your only supposed to clip one, we are going to get a higher fence but it's strange these hens are getting out because we've had 10 other hens and they have never got out.

Many thanks

Hi thanks for the reply everyone we looked for her this morning but there's was no sign and we have finally found her up the park lane where the other one was.

We used to clip both wings but now we have realised that your only supposed to clip one, we are going to get a higher fence but it's strange these hens are getting out because we've had 10 other hens and they have never got out.

Many thanks

it happens some hens are just more adventurous than others older hens tend to be a bit to heavy to fly and jump over fences, and most are just to lazy to try.

Many thanks

it happens some hens are just more adventurous than others older hens tend to be a bit to heavy to fly and jump over fences, and most are just to lazy to try.

Yes they seem to have some spring in there legs