Roksteddie

Would 4 chickens be pushing it?

After our recent tragedy where we lost all 3 of our girls we're now looking at getting a different mix of breeds so we're not directly reminded of our originals. We've managed to narrow it down to 4 breeds that we REALLY want and are unable to bring the choice down to just 3. We have a go up with the 1m extension which seemed a good size for our previous 3. We're wondering if anyone has kept/is keeping 4 in the same set up. The fourth bird would be a white star/ranger so is quite small...

Are we better off forcing ourselves to whittle the number down to 3 or will 4 be ok?

I think it really depends on the type of chicken you are getting. I have 3 bantams in my Up with standard run and consider getting another tiny bantam (500 g bird) in summer. I wouldn't keep more than 3 large bantams (1 kg bird) in my run. Standard chickens are mostly around 2 to 3 kg.

If you are getting big birds, I think you better keep it to three or downsize to a bantam breed.