Roksteddie

Is it possible for new layer to lay 2 at once?

My girls are just starting to come into lay. I had the first one from my brown ranger a couple of days ago and nothing since. However today I think my skyline may have laid 2 at once!! Both these eggs are very pale/pastel pink and considerably damaged with cracks and very rough, bumpy uneven shells. I would swear they're from the same hen! They're also considerably smaller than the one my ranger laid 2 days ago. My thinking is that one was 'stuck' and the the second one helped push it along, and when they came into contact with one another internally, both eggs had their shells affected. Is this possible? Anyone else had similar experiences?

Well the egg colour is a bit of a disappointment. Apparently the skyline has about 80% chance of laying blue and the rest will lay very pale pastel shades which looks like what we've ended up with. Our 3rd hen is a maran cuivree but she has a tiny comb and wattle and looks nowhere near ready to lay. Perhaps there is a slim chance that the ranger is still getting into the swing of things and produced these 'duds'... she hasn't laid since her first one on Monday. But my gut is telling me they belong to the skyline... I could be wrong...

with very poor quality eggs like those the colour can be missing even with blue eggs I'd say that 2 yolks got released more or less at the same time

I'd give them some life guard tonic for a week to build up the egg laying 'factory' and prepare the body to produce the right form of calcium for egg shell production

with very poor quality eggs like those the colour can be missing even with blue eggs I'd say that 2 yolks got released more or less at the same time

I'd give them some life guard tonic for a week to build up the egg laying 'factory' and prepare the body to produce the right form of calcium for egg shell production

Ditto - they are getting into the swing of things, and you can expect irregular laying and some odd eggs for the first couple of weeks. Life-Guard tonic is great, and make sure that they are only getting their pellets, not lots of treats.

Mine lay different shades of light brown to pinkish. But it also differs from egg to egg with the same hen. So still could be your Ranger?

I don't think the ranger laid all 3 eggs

colour will differ from day to day with brown and green eggs especially in birds that are very good egg layers as the pigment gland can't keep up with the egg numbers that's part of the trade off between egg colour and egg numbers very dark egg layers don't always lay good egg numbers

It looks like all the eggs so far have been from one chicken - the ranger. No one else is laying yet. It also turned out that some of the early eggs from the ranger were double yolkers which would tie in with the idea that the she released 2 yolks at the same time, but on that occasion each got an individual, weak and thin shell. So I wait with anticipation to see what/when the others will lay.