soapdragon

Marmite - Love it, Hate it or just plain not bothered?

I didn't like Marmite until I had my first child, now 23, my OH introduced her to it on toast and through licking my fingers when making it for her I aquired the taste. I like a small amount on toast topped with squashed or sliced ripe banana. My YD absolutely adores it her older sister and brother like it but don't often eat it which is probably the same for OH and myself. OH likes Bovril and adds it to mince which can be a bit salty for my taste. ED went to Australia last year and brought back a jar of Vegemite which got the thumbs down from Marmite loving little sister.

IMHO Vegemite is a very poor imitation; just doesn't have the big, gutsy kick that Marmite has! I still reckon that Marmite topped toast with a huge splodge of runny (free range!) scrambled egg on top is just perfect :lol: In fact, I may just have to pop down to the kitchen right now.......... :wink:

Bleurghhhhhh! Yet if anyone has Twiglets around I have to lick it off before crunching the now slightly soggy stick. I hate it but it somehow I can't stop myself! I think it's the salty flavour - I have never liked salt on or in my food, so can taste it when in restaurants - one dish I've returned because it was like eating a bowl of salt - have to say I've only done that once and I wasn't the only one who couldn't eat their dinner, even the maitre d agreed with us. Very sensitive little buds I have - should be a wine taster! :lol:

Anyone tried the Marmite cashews.................oh my they are lovely, the only downside is that once I open the packet I can't stop and its a big packet :oops:

As you can guess I love it.

I live in the marmite house too; you love it or hate it - I have no neighbours, nearest house is half a mile away, Im 3 miles from a village and 7 from town. The middle of nowhere, everyone has an opinion on it though. I think we should change its name to Marmite House.