Hubby phoned me at work - next door - this morning = badger in hen run - gaily opening the hopper and eating all the food - the hens luckily as we in Scotland and they are allowed out - were in the field next to the garden - went home and gave him a hand to get rid of it back up the field - it was a youngish one and luckily it got tangled first of all in the omlet fencing round the garden and then got out and went through the rylock fence - hopefully it got a bad shock - it had been in the eglu house too but we opened the pop hole and he or she shot out - really not happy with this and hope it got enough of a fright not to come back - bit like Ollys fox.

As it was obviously a youngster and scared rather than aggressive I was hoping 1). It was really scared and 2). As it is growing it wont fit through the fence shortly! Hopefully we wont see it back. But how long hax it been coming?

Why are they so protected? There are hundreds round us, vermin really in my opinion and destructive.

As it was obviously a youngster and scared rather than aggressive I was hoping 1). It was really scared and 2). As it is growing it wont fit through the fence shortly! Hopefully we wont see it back. But how long hax it been coming?

Why are they so protected? There are hundreds round us, vermin really in my opinion and destructive.

if the hole is to small it'll probably made it bigger

their protected mainly because of badger baiting as it makes it 'easier' to prosecute any one found badger baiting not that happens very often the finding not the baiting I think the last prosecution in this region was 10 years or more ago

it took a housing developer best part of 5 years to physically clear badgers off a site next to our allotments with all the monitoring needed to make sure each set was unused before it could be sealed off. that colony was only a small one when it was found it no more that 2 - 3 years old as that's about how long the block of flat had been demolished. the rumor was that the colony had been helped into existence farther than established naturally partly due to the type of ground and partly due to the distance from the nearest known colony

Update, we had not seen the badger for a couple of weeks but the chickens were getting out and going on the road. OH went round and round and found the hole eventually and blocked it. Then he noticed the badger in the garden - it was dead and obviously had been for at least a week. No idea why so it must have been sick we guess.