dancing cloud

Numpty computer questions

Yesterday Dad bought a laptop - not a big deal you may think, but he's 78 in a few weeks and has never had a computer before, so it was a pretty radical decision :clap:

His new fast shiny thin laptop makes my old fat thing look a bit sad and I'm suffering laptop envy :mrgreen: , so I want to be able to transfer all my info onto the new machine so I can use it. I know Omleteers will have done this before, and would like advice on the best way of doing this?

Mainly what needs to be moved are basic documents, music and photos. Nothing fancy. Both machines will be using the same router and I read something about setting up a home network to share info, but does this mean both machines have to be on at the same time? Can I share via a linking cable and, if so, what sort?

Secondly, any recommendations for good books/guides to computing for beginners? Initially I think Dad will just want to surf the web, but we all know that leads to internet purchasing, using email etc. Like most people, I've just sort of learned as I've gone along, and I may not be the best person to teach him. The local library used to do classes for silver surfers, but they've been cut now, so he'll have to find his own way.

Any and all wisdom very gratefully received :D

Do you or Dad know any teenagers? They are all frighteningly computer savvy.....ES (12, sooo close to 13!) does everything at the whizz of a button and leaves his poor old Ma standing open mouthed! Are there any local Age Concern or other OAP groups near you? They may well have a computer group.

Er - not taken the new one out of its box yet except to admire it briefly :oops:. It's definitely Windows and mine's Windows 10. Mine only has usb, no card slot, and would expect new one to have usb and maybe card as well.

Don't know any handy teenagers and tech-savvy at work says it's easiest just to put everything from the old machine onto a stick and upload to the new one. Reckons that's easier than any sort of sharing and provides backup in case it all goes pear-shaped.

Local Age Concern only seems interested in selling life insurance and funeral plans :shock:. Local college does absolute beginners courses but not till September and I've put Dad on the waiting list for when enrolment opens. He'll be chomping at the bit to play with his new toy before then, so easy guides would be good.

The best (easiest) way to transfer over files would be to get a USB stick (or external hard drive) and copy the files you want to move over on to the USB stick, then plug it into the new computer and copy them over.

You can transfer files by wi-fi if you have a router, but it can be a bit tricky and possibly slower.

The best (easiest) way to transfer over files would be to get a USB stick (or external hard drive) and copy the files you want to move over on to the USB stick, then plug it into the new computer and copy them over.

You can transfer files by wi-fi if you have a router, but it can be a bit tricky and possibly slower.

Yep - this is exactly what I was going to say.

If you both have USB ports or SD card slots, buy one or the other, transfer your files to the card/stick and then copy them across that way.

It's all just plug and play so you shouldn't run in to any issues. :)

Thank you for your help. Omleteers always know the answer :D

I've ordered a cheap stick from ebay and some "puters for the elderly"-type books from the library so all should be well. The books look to be basic enough to walk Dad through how to login and use a mouse and keyboard, and I've signed him up to computer classes at the local college from September. Because he's never done this before, even things like how to make a letter into a capital are all new to him, but he'll soon catch on.