The Dogmother

What do you know about TENS machines?

OH is awaiting an operation to fix his ankle/foot, smashed in an accident decades ago. Initially it was set slightly crooked, but didn't cause him any real problems, in the last couple of years it has become incredibly painful. In the day he keeps more or less on top of it with NSAIDs, which isn't exactly ideal, but at night time it is agony - keeping him awake with shooting pains. He tries to use Ibuprofen gel at night, but it clearly isn't helping and he is very tired.

I remember my grandma having a TENS machine, and wonder what you know about them, how effective they are and if they are available on loan from the NHS. He is in the scanning stage awaiting the op, and then will probably be in a space boot for a couple of months, so will need pain relief then too.

I had a tens machine for backpain DM .I bought it in Boots I thought it worked possibly by confusing the brain. There were a few different settings and I found it successful. I am sure there are different strength machines. I know expectant mums often buy their own so you may be able to pick up second hand machine. Did he ever try acupuncture as it's often successful?

They are very cheap to buy but I did not have any success with it for my knee and I am not sure a foot/ankle would benefit either - it does well for my hips and back and shoulders but there is plenty muscle over these places which helps but none over my knee which is bony and has no cartlidge left on it. If you could try one first from someone it would be better in the first place. Maybe the doctor would give him some stronger pain relief for night time use - there are a number of things - I also take Ibuprofin and paracetamol together for mine but have stronger Naproxen if I need it.

I bought one when pregnant with ES but he arrived very quickly and all went horribly wrong so didn't use it then. However, I did try it for back pain some time later and it helped but not majorly.....I think it might just not have been powerful enough - apparently they do differ.

Good luck....hope you find one that works! Otherwise accupuncture is effective but you do have to go regularly so it can be quite costly. Has your OH tried any kind of manipulation?

My MIL had one for a degenerative spine condition but it made no difference to her, but I would have thought it's worth a go as everyone is different. She is nearly 90 and she has taken a paracetamol a day for years, it has been medically prescribed, and been prescribed after a thorough exam again last year. Personally I really can't see what difference it makes, but then I am not a doctor! However, a nurse friend of mine takes brufen for pain, and I was prescribed it by a dentist in Portugal last year for severe tooth pain. It's basically 600mg ibuprofen, and I found it to be very effective, but presumably available only on prescription. I can understand not wanting to take more pain relief, but I guess it's a toss up between day to day quality of life and toxicity. At least your OH is not on anything addictive.

The problem with ongoing NSAID doses is liver damage, which he's keen to avoid. At the moment he is treading a fine line between managing the pain so that he can go about his life - albeit being knackered - and being worried about taking enough PKs to knacker his liver. if he has a big site visit or meeting, then he takes some midday to get him through it, but the bone is grating against bone now :(

I have put a shout out to see if any friends have one we can borrow to see if it helps.

Thanks all for your advice - keep the suggestions coming....

try getting a referral to the physio for some ultrasound therapy it might help it might not

you can use a tens on ankles weather or not they work I don't know as I've not got up the courage to try mine yet

Lloyd's do a small battery one I find it helped with my back pain (I've got 3 stiff disks in my lower back)

I know when I asked the GP about using it on my ankle and shoulders He said officially He couldn't recommend the use of a Tens as it's not on the NHS approved list He couldn't see much problem with using one

I worked all morning yesterday on my feet till 2.30 and then went grocery shopping in the afternoon got home at 5.30 and was completely done - my knee was just killing me, lame and dragging. I then took the pain killers but had not taken any for a week or so so only take them when I have to like your partner, but needs must when it gets bad. If he is scheduled for the op then his liver should be fine - its years of taking these things that makes the liver become toxic,

My ED used one for her CRPS which helped a bit, but she soon got used to it and it no longer helped. The same sadly happens with medication, in that you become used to it and it stops working.

YD has just bought a Tens from Amazon which is tiny! Slightly larger than a £2 coin. She has tried it a couple of times and has yet to find a setting that works for her. It has a bluetooth connection so you control it from your phone. It was anout £16, so not pricey.

If you can hire one, then that would be a good idea. I hope he get his op soon and can start on the road to recovery.