eggalp1

Could do with some reassurance after a bad first week

Evening all, i've not had the best first week with my new flock of five, all 16 weeks old. On their first day at home i noticed that my Wyandotte (now named Chesty!) was very chesty, sneezing, and quite listless. On day two, i called the breeder who suggested i could take her back and swap her. Because its a three hour round trip back to the breeder I decided to take her to my local avian vet who suggested she has a respiratory infection and prescribed seven days of Denegard to go in their water to treat them all, just in case. I'd only had her for two days and she'd cost me £90, i daren't tell the hubby!) He also tested her poo which showed nothing untoward. After seven days i went back to the vet as she was still very chesty, although much brighter in herself and was given another seven days of Denegard. This was two days ago and she is still very chesty, rattling on nearly every breath. Is it usual for this medicine to take this long? should i expect her to sound a bit better by now? I'm also worrying about giving the healthy girls unnecessary antibiotic, is this worth worrying about? Have i done the wrong thing - should i just have swapped her?! Any reassurance would be greatly received, this isn't the start i'd hoped for!

Sorry to hear you are having a ruff time!

Some chickens can have something similar to hay fever. What are you using in the house and in the run as bedding?

Personally I think I would have taken her back. But I think it's very admirable that you have taken her to the vet! There are enough people around that will leave her be and never consider a trip to the vet.

Thanks i did think i was doing the right thing by not taking her back but the longer it goes on the more I think this was maybe a mistake!

I'm using Easychick in the eglu but I do think she was poorly before I brought her home and I'm not sure what the breeder was using.

She seems well in herself and really lively, just wish she could shift this rattle!! It's so disappointing to have brought home a sick hen, i can already see another trip to the vets coming on once this second bottle of Denegard has gone.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! I would have taken her back too, but you have her now, and will bond more as you're nursing her. I would ask the vet for some Tylan to shift the problem, and use an old remedy called VetRX to help with her breathing. Be aware that this infection may well have damaged her ability to lay eggs.

Hope that she gets better soon

Thanks for the help, it does put my mind at rest.

I'll order some VetRX, thanks for the tip! and will talk to the vet about Tylan when the Denegard has run out.

I didn't like to think what might of happened to her if I'd returned her.... and she is very beautiful!

Eggs aren't really too important (there's only two of us) i just wish she was healthy. Aren't they such a worry!

Sorry to hear she is poorly. One of our first batch was a bit wheezy and like you, it's a long round trip so we phoned the breeder and he sent some antibiotics out by first class post. It might be worth pointing out that it seems likely she was sick when she came to you and asking if the breeder will contribute towards the vet costs. I hope she's better soon.

Totally know how you feel about not taking her back to the breeder,

I have a hen, Susan, who is the ugliest bird ever - two broken toes, one missing toe, a broken top beak and I'm sure she is cross-eyed but if I'd taken her back we all know what would have happened to her.

We don't get many eggs from her but she's part of the flock and deserves more than a chance.

Hope all goes well for you,