Luvachicken

Something tried to get in my chicken run.

I went to collect the eggs earlier today to find piles of soil outside my Omlet run down one side.

Last night, whilst watching Bake Off, something made a huge clattering outside our window but we didn't check to see what it was :shameonu: Now I'm thinking that whatever made us jump, decided to have a dig around my run.

Fortunately, the Omlet run is on a very small plot of soil with patio stones over the top of the skirt on one side and rocks on the other.

Their wooden run is entirely on paving slabs so there should be no problem there.

I think there is too much soil for it to be ratty.

I should have looked more carefully for footprints.

I've just shut the door of the cube for the first time in ages just in case.

We've also set up our outside camera to see what we can catch, if anything.

Just reading this and we have had ratty issues here too. I've never had a bad session such as this year. We seem to be fixing the whole of this side of the village! Before we have had one or two episodes but never as long lasting. Since we had chickens I guess we've had 2 rats one year and before that one on 2 separate occasions. We've had the girls almost 10 years now. Didn't help that next door vacated their house and left it empty for nearly a year while they "renovate". Well they have hardly been here since May and when we came back from holiday in June there were the big piles of dirt in the top border. The rats were also visible during the day! Next door has 3 sheds and the darned pests kept coming in from their garden which is now overgrown. They have a huge pile of stuff in the back garden that is covered - I'm guessing building materials - ideal ratty homes - especially as it's undisturbed. Interesting thing was that the rats weren't down by the chooks, but burrowed under the wild bird feeder - picking up the spilt remains. I flooded the tunnel a few times and finally dug it all in. Well that was nipped in the bud and I think I see light at the end of the tunnel - we haven't had any signs up this end since (edited to add - we stopped feeding the wild birds), although the compost bin has had a visitor - old compost is now being put on the veggie beds in any case and we haven't been adding to the other bin as we are running it down to move. OH had a battle with one and won - he was a bit distraught about killing an animal. And we found another one in the veggie patch quite dead. I don't think there are any more at the moment down there, but it doesn't pay to be complacent with regard to vermin. Another guess is that with all the destruction of the farm land up the road the rats have been driven out and looked closer to homes for survival. Sad really as they've been really attractive and young animals - and not something like a horror story that I saw a few years ago - ye gods it was ugly!!! :lol:

Well, our rat has been busy again, digging at the soil.

It is only the soil the girls have chucked out anyway that sits on top of the run skirt.

I have put all the soil back and moved the rat trap and filled it with a nice dollop of peanut butter.

The unfortunate thing is that something manages to eat the peanut butter without setting off the trap, or it manages to set off the trap without getting caught and then eats it.

I'm hoping tonight, that as the rat is so desperate to get in my run, he will be just as desperate to eat my peanut butter.

Good luck - they really are very clever and very determined little creatures. DD's pet rat kept chewing the carpet so they got lots of ball pond balls and stuffed them in the corner where she would be naughty. We have a video of this very frustrated rat angrily rolling ball after ball away! So funny. But that's a fancy one and not a vermin one. :lol:

I was told it takes up to 4 weeks for rats to 'accept' traps and bait boxes in their patch but if after 4 weeks it's been used then it needs to be re-sited to a new location slightly hidden but up against a fence wall or alike with reasonable access from both sides. traps can be very unreliable for rats their best covered to form a tunnel half a slab learning against the wall etc can work. personally I prefer baiting once they accept the box as a food source it's just a matter of keeping it topped up

as for the bait going from the traps that could be mice but more likely slugs I had a problem this time last year with slugs eating the green bait blocks I was using for a pair mice

I have had a rat actually chew a hole through my fence and when I secured that it dug not only under a fence but under concrete slab, I blocked the holes nightly and before I popped a few poison blocks and then put bait boxes next to the holes. This continued for a week but then stopped suddenly.

Several months ago I had similar and used a trap with some mealworms on it as bait and got the rascal the first night!

Good luck

Chocolate is the one for them - Nutella or somesuch (maybe not Nutella until they stop the palm oil nonsense). Or peanut butter. Even those suet balls for birds are an attraction.

Thankfully not seen any droppings - just the holes. And I know they aren't mice! When they were coming in from next door, there was a well trodden path and hole in the vegetation so that helped me to set the trap up. Took a very long time. And now we have the one at the bottom of the garden, so that hole now has a thing in front of their access door to welcome them. Sort of. Mwah ha harrrr!

Will pop to the shops tomorrow and get some meal worms and cat biscuits, see if that will help me catch the pesky little creature.

don't be to quick to change the bait if there's signs that it's been eaten but make sure that the trigger on the trap is light enough to trip the trap and that the bait can only be eaten from the trigger point and that it takes time to eat that's partly why spreads and pastes work as they can't be grabbed and taken to a safe location

Well, I've just been watching my 'rat videos'.

It's been chewing my run just like a hamster does.

Hideous creature.

I think I've worked out it's a male :oops: - it has big bits :oops:

He also has a very long tail :vom:

I'm not sure it will even fit in my trap as it is quite big.

It has been all over my trap and right by the entrance, but sadly, not in it :evil:

I will get it eventually.