Lewis

Goshawk

This is the male Goshawk I started working with in September. He was brought into the clinic with a bad case of bumblefoot, his feathers and equipment were in a really bad condition. He had surgery and several bandage changes to sort then out then I manned him (lots of sitting quietly with him on the glove) and built up his condition so his manners are pretty good.

He can now easily fly 20 metres on a creance and I was free flying him before Christmas. It's been minus temperatures pretty much since January so he's inside the clinic overnight and not flown properly at the moment but we'll start again once the weather improves.

Traditionally falconry birds aren't named until they catch their first quarry so he's not named yet, but I like Dexter, Rupert and Brian at the moment :P

I don't think I've posted photos of him before; snapped one this afternoon when it was -7oC

Goshawk.jpg

• Thanks 1

He's a beauty, Lewis. There was a TV programme about a woman and Goshawks. She had one a couple of decades ago and after her father died she got another Goshawk and the programme followed how she trained it. She sat for hours with it on her hand without speaking to it so that it would get used to her and trust her. I wouldn't have the patience! I'd want it to know that it could trust me immediately, lol!

Helen Macdonald - I met her a few years ago and got her to sign a book (H is for Hawk) for me. Finally got round to reading it in September when I started working with the Gos and it was a really interesting story. I have a few more falconry books to read but rarely get the time!

The programme is recorded at home for me to watch at some point!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lewis said:

Helen Macdonald - I met her a few years ago and got her to sign a book (H is for Hawk) for me. Finally got round to reading it in September when I started working with the Gos and it was a really interesting story. I have a few more falconry books to read but rarely get the time!

I have that book too, saw the programme on watch again, and (like you) haven't had time to read the book yet! :roll:

he's gorgeous Lewis

22 hours ago, Lewis said:

Yep, that's the lady. You'll enjoy the programme when you get home.