GrannyTrish

Winnie is broody!

Winnie is always the last one to go to bed but last night she was first in the coop, but not roosting, and I had to pick her up to get her to roost, and I got a telling off from her by means of a loud screech. This morning she was scratching about the garden as normal but by afternoon she was back in the nest box and was still there a few hours later when I went to check for eggs. She had laid so I went to pick it up and she screeched again and tried to peck me, and although I did manage to pick it up she didn't move. So I donned gloves and with a fuss managed to pick her up and put her outside.

I've closed the door to the coop to keep her out but I'm wondering if it's alright to let her roost on her own in another place tonight and if so for how many nights, please?

On 4/26/2018 at 6:59 PM, GrannyTrish said:

Winnie is always the last one to go to bed but last night she was first in the coop, but not roosting, and I had to pick her up to get her to roost, and I got a telling off from her by means of a loud screech. This morning she was scratching about the garden as normal but by afternoon she was back in the nest box and was still there a few hours later when I went to check for eggs. She had laid so I went to pick it up and she screeched again and tried to peck me, and although I did manage to pick it up she didn't move. So I donned gloves and with a fuss managed to pick her up and put her outside.

I've closed the door to the coop to keep her out but I'm wondering if it's alright to let her roost on her own in another place tonight and if so for how many nights, please?

Winnie's broody again, the same pattern as the last time. Fingers crossed that she gets over it as quickly as the last time! Can I be so lucky?!

Can’t remember, but are your chickens youngish? Younger hens sometimes take a few goes to get properly broody, so she might take a bit longer to get over it.

Two of mine were broody. Merel at least 3/4 weeks, Pickwick about a week and half, but finaly both snapped out of it. But I don’t use a broody pen, because of all the racket they make and can’t afford the noise with all my neighbours. I just chuck them of the nest as often as possible and close the coop once the others are done laying. 

Winnie is around 2yrs old and like the last time she seems fine this morning. Oh, joys, Cat Tails, so I've got to look forward to proper broodiness :ph34r:! I feel so sorry for her when she wants babies! Am I daft or do others feel the same way? I pick her up and cuddle her like she was my baby, lol!

Lily, my big grey pudding, is in the broody cage right now, for the first time.

She showed classic broody symptoms - growling fiercely and sticking up her feathers.

I've never heard a growl like it from a chicken before :o

She gets released tomorrow.

Lets hope yours continue with their very quick broody sessions :-D

If only your chickens could tell all of ours hows it's done.

• Thanks 1

Mine usually take a week to get over being broody and then start to lay eggs again, although Molly, one of my chicks from last year, came out of the broody cage and was back to laying a few days later .......... unless time went faster than I had actually realised :lol:

Saying that tough, Lily was straight back in the broody cage after a day and a half of freedom, who knows when she will lay her next egg :roll:

Aaaand Winnie is broody again! It seems like it's a monthly thing with her as it's happened in April, May and now June. I hope this time it's a full-blown broody session so that she gets over it properly.

I found Doris standing actually astride Winnie in the nesting area of the coop! It was like she was telling Winnie to move because she needed to lay, so Winnie is now in the broody pen which DH hates because he's such a softy and hates seeing her on her own and unhappy at not being able to brood! :lol: