rachel19

Feather Plucking

I'd take care you if feed other stuff than chicken food that you mix grit in with it.  You said they were eating wet pellets but being bullied away from it.  Can you put a divider in the run to keep the dominant ones seperate 

Edited by Plum

Ok, we removed the bumpa bit from one of the hens. She was getting in a state and had started getting quite dribbly and ill looking. She is fine this morning and back to eating and looking happy again - if she starts feather plucking we will put another on her and try a slightly different position. I did a crop check last night and 3 of the girls are fine and eating the pellet mash I am giving and 2 are laying every day so must be getting enough. I have concerns over one of the girls still so I will keep an eye on her.

I have increased to 2 food stations with mash so hopefully this will help, I would rather not separate them if I don't have to. The really bald one despite being at the bottom of the pecking order is the scrappiest and will fight to get her food and she is actually one of the girls I am not concerned about. It is nice to see new feathers appearing as well so hopefully things will get better :S They do try your patience sometimes don't they!

I have been putting a supplement in their feed - it smells slightly aniseed-y and is a general health booster so hopefully this will help. The one remaining girl I was concerned wasn't eating did an enormous poo when I let them out this morning so something must be going in!

I will continue with the current routine for the next 2 or 3 weeks and then reassess and hopefully remove the bumpa bits and see how they get on after that. Thanks for all the help and support.

That looks perfect Plum. Should have thought of this earlier, but shout if you ever need any bumpa bits as I usually have a couple kicking around at home. Cotswold Chickens will send them out - I think they're about 20p, and they also stock circlip pliers.

Rachel, the tonic that you mention sounds like Mineral Boost powder, which is excellent. One tip... if you drizzle a small amount of cod liver oil over the pellets and mix so that they are VERY lightly coated, then the powder will stick and not get left int he bottom of the feeder. That aniseed smell is probably Fennel, which increases appetite and promoted digestion.

Pleased to report life is much easier.  Maggie is eating fine with bumper bit and theres been no blood shed.  Ive not seen her feather plucking either.  They are much happier and quieter back together again.  Long may peace reign.

How are yours doing Rachel?

• Like 1

We're still doing ok at the moment. They cannot eat as well as I would have liked but we're managing and now almost 2 weeks in. The really bald one is getting feathers through and my cockerel is getting his tail feathers back so we're making progress! I did remove the bit from Gladys as she was really suffering and not happy but she is fine and laying happily again now! The other 4 still have in place.

How long should I keep going? I'm not sure if 2 weeks will be enough or if I should persevere for a 3rd week? I think I will source the smaller ones you have next time Plum, they look like they will make eating easier and I won't have to worry so much!

I might remove the one from the really bald one this weekend as I think she needs more food intake to regrow all of the feathers and I worry it will put too much stress on her - she looks quite thin but then they do tend to without the feather bulk! It's all a learning curve isn't it!

Once they're all back to normal I need to do a run overhaul and another worming cycle before the weather gets cold.

If you send me your address by message I'll pop a couple of the 30mm bits in first class post for bald one.  I got them from Domestic fowl trust for future reference http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/products/info_apbb.html

Think mine'll be on long term she's so focused on feather snatching.   She's bald in places and loads of broken feathers from long term destruction by pekin now gone who couldn't cope with a bumpa bit.  Just have to wait for a moult.  Good that you're seeing feather progress.

Heck what breed was she?

Saw Robin picking at Maggie's feathers at one point today, it could have been dirt after a dustbath but will keep a close eye and one more time and she'll have one on as well for a bit.  Perhaps she does it at night when I don't see her.   Grrr  serves me right for saying they were doing well.

They'll settle Plum. Chickens have relatively primitive neural wiring and pick up/lean habits fairly easily, luckily most of them are easy to break.

That rogue bird was a RIR, she was just plain bad and demented. Anthony didn't have the heart to despatch her after the owner took her in, she was better off in their home flock which has a good cockerel, but always had a bit on just to protect everything and every one.

Hi,

Just a quick update on this little saga. All of the girls have been bumpa bit free for almost 2 months now and all are now fully feathered (fingers crossed it stays that way!). If anyone is wondering if it is worth the stress, it is - they are all happy and not feather plucking that I can see. I now cannot tell the difference between my 2 copper black marans which is lovely and worth all of the worrying!

I do think if I did need to do again, I would use the intermediate sized bits that Plum had as the others were a little long but it did the trick and everyone survived the ordeal!

Hope this is of use :-)

Thanks for everyone's help and advice!

That's really good news, so glad it's worked for you.  Must be great seeing the Marans fully feathered. 

I've still got the bit on Maggie she tries to pull feathers from back of Robin's legs even with it on.  Not sure if she's successful but Robins in full moult and they're regrowing.  No feathers in run so assume naughty Maggie is eating them.  Just waiting for her to moult but she's still Mrs Stumpy.  All calm and they're together so I see that as a win. :)

Great news - it's good to hear some positive news on bumpa bits; so many people don't like to fit them, or think that they are 'cruel', yet it's far better than having dead or injured hens. I teach bit fitting on my advanced course - I don't make them do it, but at least 2 or 3 people will opt out. Not a problem as they watch the others doing it, but as anyone who has fitted one will tell you; there's a massive difference between watching and doing with these things.

Plum, where did you get the smaller bits from? It's good to have a note of the suppliers

Just thought that I'd resurrect this thread - I had a lady on my Advanced course at the weekend; she had bumpa bits from Omlet with her and reported that they snapped, so she'd been unsuccessful in fitting them. They were very short - bantam sized, so no wonder they weren't fitting a full-sized hybrid. The plastic was very brittle too and broke as soon as we tried to open the circlip pliers in one. We do bumpa bit fitting on the course, so everyone got plenty of goes at it, and this lady left with 30mm bits, which she reports fit her naughty hen fine.