rachel19

Feather Plucking

Hi,

I have 5 hens and in the last couple of months they have starter feather plucking. I have had this before and stopped it before with the anti-pecking spray (the horrid smelling one). This time it has not worked and the lowest one of the pecking order is mostly bald apart from her wings and head and neck :-( A couple of the others have smaller areas of feather loss but not as bad.

They have a very large run, I treat the house for mites and they have several things hanging up to peck at and keep them entertained. I bought bumper bits from Omlet but they break so easily - the bit that sits in their mouth splits as soon as you try and spread the prongs that go in their nose a little and they can then easily remove them so I don't see how these work?

At the weekend I bought a cockerel as I had been thinking of getting one for a while and thought he might help keep them under control but I think he's too nice for his own good :/ I'm now at a loss as to where to go from here. I'm not sure who the culprit is and think they might be all having a go - whenever I'm there with them they don't do it. Any suggestions? I feel like I've tried everything :-(

Thanks,

There’s a video somewhere on here how to fit bumpa bits properly. One of the mods might be able to find it forvyou.  I found these worked whereas all the anti peck sprays didn’t.  You say they have plenty of room.  But do they also have perches and toys in the run?  If you’re doing all these things, can you identify the main culprit and separate her?  She will go down in the pecking order which may help.  

My cockerel likes a quiet life too and leaves the girls to their squabbles!  

Edited by Patricia W

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I watched youtube videos but they just snap as soon as any pressure is applied and the prongs do need to be pulled apart slightly to get them on. Is it one size fits all? There is only one size listed in Omlet's shop.

Their run is about 15m squared which should be plenty of room for 6 chooks? There is a large perch, bench and several hanging treat dispensers which I refill every day. I will get some more and we're going to build them a proper dust bath area as it has been getting a bit muddy. I'm getting some of the purple spray as well to cover her bald bits in conjunction with the smelly spray to see if this detracts them further. It is weird we can't get the bumper bits to work though :-(

Thanks,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but Dogmother, I'm having the same problem with the Omlet bumpa bits, even after soaking them in hot water. I need to fit one on Wilma as she's developed a taste for feather eating. I bought ten bumpas and have broken 6 of them trying to fit them, with OH holding her very still and me applying the bit. They don't seem wide enough to get the ends into her nostrils, and when I try to hold them open a little further using the pliers, the middle bit (the actual bit, bit, that goes across the middle inside the beak) just snaps. I don't know if she's just got a really wide face...!

I got one on once by accident (she flinched and it snapped into place) but she had it off within 5 mins and when I picked it up, again, middle bit was snapped.

I think I do live fairly near to you and I would be hugely grateful to take up any help you can offer in getting a bit fitted (and maybe show me where I'm going wrong?!) 

The bits are a last resort having tried everything. Anti-peck spray doesn't deter her at all, it just pees off the other chickens as they can't preen without it tasting bad. They have loads of run space (currently these 4 birds are in 9 square metres of run, Eglu cube Mk1, plus an upper level in the run which is another 2 square metres, plus enrichment and several perches, plus free ranging over an area in excess of 60m2 for at least 3 hours a day, and all day at weekends) and I've tried increasing protein(mealworms)/varying the diet with greens etc. She just thinks feathers are the tastiest thing ever.

I think once it's an established habit, it is very hard to break. 

I used the anti-peck spray for six weeks earlier this year, and apart from making me very grumpy, it made no bloomin' difference as far as I could see!   Like yours, mine have a large run, treats hung up to jump for, a dust bath and regular free-ranging.  The hens seem healthy and happy - although it can't be very nice having your feathers pulled out, there is no actual bleeding or damage to their skin, and I'm afraid I have just given up. 

I agree with you - my other birds seem perfectly happy despite one of them being significantly plucked and the other two having small bald patches in certain areas. But, I worry that it will only be a matter of time before she accidentally draws blood and that once that happens, we're in real trouble. As well as her love of feathers she is also top hen and can be quite a bully. I would like to be able to integrate my newer pullets into the flock fully at some point. She's stopping me as I can't bear the thought of my lovely araucanas going bald! She even managed to get a beakful of head feathers from one of the new girls through a wire fence, and gobbled up every single feather. Yuck!

Hi - I had a bad bout of this a few years ago and it didn’t matter how many toys they had or space or anti peck sprays, once they learn feathers are nice it’s a hard habit to break!  I used bumper bits but it didn’t stop it because they could still pull out feathers with them on!  Amazing really.  The only way I permanently broke them was the hens glasses (not the horrible ones that pierce the nose of course just the ones that attach in the same way as the bumper bits).  They act as the opposite sight restriction to horses blinkers, ie, they can’t see directly in front of them and although that sounds really barbaric and harsh it really wasn’t.  In fact, it was no worse than how they act with a bit on really, couple of days and they were unaware they were on them.  I left them on for 6 weeks then removed the least likely to be the main offender’s glasses first and watched to see if the baldness reappeared, it didn’t so that hen didn’t need them again.  I continued like that until I found a hen who whenever I took the glasses off would start it all again so she then wore hers for the rest of her life (long and happy life she lived with her shades on!).  I know this may be controversial as some people don’t like the idea of them but it was much less distressing  than watching a poor hen stripped to bald continuously.  It also stopped the subsequent hens learning it from the older ones which had happened in the past.  I hope this helps. 

Hello sarkymite

it sounds as if there's something wrong with the bumps bits that you have. I would be happy to fit it for you, but am not local just now. If you pop in to see Anthony at Cotswold Chicjens, then he can also do it for you, but it is best to phone first to check that he will be there when you go, as he is the only other person able to fit them.

Hi Dogmother

Thanks for your reply. I may call them and see if he's around this weekend then- though may depend on the weather as it's a 40 minute drive each way in good traffic and I worry that it may be a bit hot and stressful for the birds in the car!

We're right down in East Sussex so a long way away. We tried putting in hot water an this really helped, it didn't break and we fitted it ok. We did it in the evening just after she had gone to bed so she was dopey but when I let them out in the morning it was gone. I checked it and it was fitted well but she still got rid of it. I've given up and don't think there is anything else I can do really :/ I might try again and see if the next one stays on - I think there is one main culprit as she has all of her feathers still.

OK, so it sounds as if the Omlet bumpa bits might be either the wrong size for hybrids or made of some duff plastic; may I suggest that you all ring or email them to let them know.

I fit the bumpa bits from Cotswold Chickens on a regular basis and know that they are OK, so perhaps ring up and order form them. they also sell the circlip pliers. If you are in the north Oxfordshire area/borders with Warks and Northants, then I'll happily fit one for you. 

A little update, I got some bumpa bits from Cotswold Chickens who were great. We fitted Saturday night to all 5 girls and all went fine. I left them to their own devices Sunday and checked on them late afternoon and they have adapted really well.

I'm a little concerned that they aren't able to eat properly. The bald ones crop was obviously empty and there was food everywhere where they have obviously been trying to eat out of the feeder (a Grandpa's treadle feeder which is quite deep so should be ok). I managed to make some mash with their pellets, corn and water which they could eat but the dominant hens were stopping the others from getting near and even when i put another feeder out they would run between them chasing them off. One of the dominant hens also like to kick the food all over the ground and then they cannot eat it. 

Will they sort themselves out or should I be concerned? I just don't want them to starve to death!

You will need to make sure that the feeders and drinkers are deep enough to accommodate the extra length added by the bumpa bits. Part of it is technique though, and they can take 24 hours to adapt to the new distance needed.

Glad that you got bits which work now.

If you need any fitted, then do check that Anthony at Cotswold Chickens will be in when you visit; the other aren't sure about doing it, and he is sometimes out installing coops and runs. I can fit them as well, but I am 9 miles away from their yard so can only pop over there at a weekend if I am free.

Great, thanks. We have them all fitted, did all 5 in about 10 mins - once the first one was done we rattled through them quite quickly. We did soak in warm water as well to give a bit of extra flexibility and all went quite smoothly. Fitting them when they had gone to bed helped as they were easier to catch and a little more docile.

I made sure the feed was deep enough, hopefully they will get the hang of it fairly quickly. I let them out to free range yesterday as well and although frustrated at not being able to pick up worms they had a good scrabble about and didn't seem bothered by it. They seem to find the wet food easier to scoop up albeit a little messy!

I will see how they got on today when I get home from work, I will do a crop check.

Thanks again!

I had same problem with Omlet ones and got some off eBay that are fine and fit them to my feather/flesh eater ok but she also can't won't eat.  Too long I think so I take it off twice a day. 

Omlet are 25mm these are 35mm but I've got some on order from the Domestic Wildfowl  Trust that are 30mm so praying they'll work fine.  They've not got the weak point Omlet ones have.

20180815_155914.jpg

Removing several times a day for 5 chickens is definitely not an option for me. I think ours are further forward as per Plum's photo as well - some of the chickens had slightly odd shaped nostrils and it fitted better here - they were very narrow towards the rear. Does it cause any other issues if they are slightly further forwards? They are still in place and don't seem to be bothering the hens.

I am continuing to make a mash in a deep bowl which they can eat ok. I am letting them out when I get home from work to destroy the garden and eat the plants which they still seem to be able to do to a certain degree.

Thanks,

• Like 1

Could you try and feed them something irresistible like cat food or tuna? Just to see how they cope with something they will be willing to make an effort for?

if they manage to scoff the goodies, they should manage to eat their normal food. In that sense they are very much like toddlers.