Luvachicken

What can you do with ....... ?

1. Rhubarb leaves

I've been picking my rhubarb and the leaves are massive and it seems such a shame to put them in the bin.

What use do they have ?

2. Charlie Bigham wooden containers

When we are lucky enough to have one of his yummy dinners they always come with a balsa wood container.

They must be useful for something.

3. Wooden fruit trays

When we buy those lovely trays of fruit they come in quite a sturdy wooden tray - you know the ones I mean.

I did think about using them as seed trays but the gaps are usually to big and the soil falls out.

Any ideas ?

No help on the rhubarb I'm afraid but I do wash our little food containers and, if I can get them properly clean, use them for sitting the washing up liquid/sponge/cleaning spray in on the kitchen windowsill to catch drips . Ditto shower stuff in the bathroom.

Can you line the wooden fruit trays with some sort of plastic to keep them waterproof and the soil in? Failing that, you could use them to put rhubarb leaves in.........;)

7 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

1. Rhubarb leaves

I've been picking my rhubarb and the leaves are massive and it seems such a shame to put them in the bin.

What use do they have ?

2. Charlie Bigham wooden containers

When we are lucky enough to have one of his yummy dinners they always come with a balsa wood container.

They must be useful for something.

3. Wooden fruit trays

When we buy those lovely trays of fruit they come in quite a sturdy wooden tray - you know the ones I mean.

I did think about using them as seed trays but the gaps are usually to big and the soil falls out.

Any ideas ?

1) Unless I'm mistaken, Rhubarb leaves are deadly poisonous if eaten etc. in large quantities (although more than you'd want to eat), but they can give you all sorts of tummy problems too, even in low quantities https://modernfarmer.com/2015/08/secretly-poisonous-plants/ - put them on the composter or something!

2 & 3) I use old apple crates etc. as storage in the pantry, but depending on how strong the wood is, you can also up-cycle them into shelving. Check Pinterest out. :)

Edited by AndyRoo

On 03/06/2018 at 9:46 PM, Grandmashazzie said:

My mum used to boil rhubarb leaves in a burnt pot to remove the marks.Could you use the trays at Christmas and fill with goodies?

Yes, I did think about decorating them and doing something Christmassy with them 

Rhubarb leaves go in the compost.  But if anyone wants to try it, they say line the bottom of a potato trench as it keeps the pests off the potato tubers when you plant them.  Not tried it because the rhubarb leaves are never that big when I need to plant up the spuds!

I'd use some sort of membrane for sowing seeds in the trays.  Or use old compost bags as liners with added holes for drainage.  Any fancy boxes (not heard of Charlie either) perhaps line with fabric for storage?

I bought a Charlie's Chicken Kiev (SORRY!!!!!) or,as they are known in our house, chicken Kev; half price (wouldn't/can't pay full price!)  Now have a lovely little wooden tray - ho hum - will try and find a use for it. Possibly soap dish or to catch the drips from the liquid soap dispenser?

Rhubarb leaves can be used as an aphid repellant , especially on roses :grin:

Cut 450g  (1lb) rhubarb leaves, place in an old pan with 1.1ltr (2pt) water and boil for half an hour, topping up as necessary. When cool, add 1tbsp of soap flakes, dissolved in 275ml (9.5fl oz) warm water. Stir and use undiluted as a spray.

I knew there would be a useful use :wink: