mullethunter

Swollen cheek and one eye closing

I feel like I’m constantly bringing you problems - sorry!

Bernadette, my pekin, has had a hard swelling about the size of a petit pois below her left eye in the red bit of her face for an couple of weeks. No nasty stuff, doesn’t seem to hurt. The last few days though she’s been closing her right eye a lot. In this one no swelling and again no discharge of any sort. She’s laying and although maybe generally a bit slow she seems otherwise OK. Any ideas?

Well the vet thought Lewis could be right and having had sinusitis herself was quite sympathetic! She didn’t manage to draw anything out of the swelling but although Bernadette didn’t have a temperature she thought as it’s likely to be either sinusitis or mycoplasma she gave her an injection of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory and has given me a weeks course of antibiotics for her.

I guess the anti-inflammatory is good stuff as although her eye is still quite closey she seems brighter already (wanted some of my lager but I told her there are some antibiotics that don’t mix with alcohol and I don’t know if hers is one of them!).

On top of this I think she might be approaching broodiness. I took her out of the (boiling hot) Cube after she’d laid her egg today and she was behaving in a way I’ve never seen before. Picking up feathers and long pieces of grass and throwing them behind herself. Really bizarre! Either some sort of nesting behaviour or she’s gone completely doolally!!

Well, she had the last antibiotic injection today. The swelling has gone, but the eye closing and general not-quite-right is still there. She laid in the second day of antibiotics but hasn’t again since. 

As well as the eye closing (still no sign of any discharge or apparent soreness or anything) she’s occasionally making this weird movement which I can best describe as if you were trying to rub your cheekbone and ear on your shoulder bone. 

Any more ideas? I don’t really know what do do next other than wait and see...

Oh, and going to bed early every night but not broody after all so goodness know what that was all about!

Glad to hear it's gone down, pus is usually much thicker which may be why she didn't find anything if the tried to aspirate it. Could also be an ear infection if she's rubbing her head but again antibiotics should have helped it.

Keep an eye on her and if you need any help send me a message.

Oh dear. Poor Bernadette is really poorly this morning. The last few days she’s got neither better nor worse. She’s still eating and drinking (she had a treat yesterday of granola and sunflower hearts with water to make sure she was eating and drinking enough) but has been slower than normal, going to bed earlier and still closing the eye a lot and occasionally trying to rub or scratch it. Lewis suggested perhaps ear mites so I’ve ordered treatment for that which should come on Wednesday.

This morning though she can’t walk. She seems to have no balance. When she tries to walk she’s pitching side to side and forwards and back to she has to sit down and then just looks miserable. 

I guess it still could be an ear infection but I’d have thought the antibiotics should have cleared that, my fear it that it could be late stages of the slow form of mareks (which I always suspected was what killed Barbara even though the post mortem didn’t show it).

Any ideas?