Janey4

They are here!

Well they are finally here! Hurrah! I'm thrilled to bits and they are all around 12ish weeks, which I'm really pleased about.

I have come home with a white silkie, lavender pekin and gold laced Wyandotte.....or so I thought.....in my excitement to get them home and very limited chicken breed knowledge, when i came to put them in their coop I noticed the 'wyandotte' has slightly feathered legs.....?

I had pointed to a few that I liked and I was told they were sablepoots and Wyandottes......does it sound like I have come away with a sablepoot, thinking it was a Wyandotte?? I was told it was the former but I don't think it is.......

I'm not massively fussed in all honesty, but I would like to know what I have...!

They haven't ventured out of the coop yet, but seem quite settled and happy enough, bless them!

Thank you!

I'll try and take some pics tomorrow when they hopefully venture out! 

13 minutes ago, Janey4 said:

I had pointed to a few that I liked and I was told they were sablepoots and Wyandottes......does it sound like I have come away with a sablepoot, thinking it was a Wyandotte?? I was told it was the former but I don't think it is.......

Meant the latter!

Is the Wyandotte a bantam? A bantam Wyandotte would be considerably larger than a pekin of the same age, but a sablepoot would be smaller and have not just fluffy legs but massive feathers on its legs and feet.

Wyandottes shouldn’t have feathery legs but if it’s got a bit of something else in it perhaps it could have.

We’ll be able to tell you when you post photo’s.

Edited by mullethunter
Correct sp

Right hope these work!

The girls the day we got them...….they are coming out of their shells (haha) so much more now and we are making sure we spend a bit of time with them each day, handling them ect

PS the trellis bit at the back now has weldmesh on it, just in case anyone was worried.....:)

WP_20180707_17_41_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20180707_17_41_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20180708_11_15_37_Pro.jpg

Edited by Janey4

Thank you! They have been a long time coming and I just can't wait till they are in the garden with us following us round!

I have a couple of questions too while I'm here.....perching....do I need to worry/be bothered that they are just going to sleep in a corner of the coop and not fussed about the perch? Shall I just leave them to it? (Is it because they are still quite young?)

Also pecking order....once its established does everyone just get kept in their place in the main as long as no newbies are added? I was quite surprised when they were all having a go at each other at such a young age! 

I've given them a dust bath under their house, but they don't seem interested in it....I know they will make their own once out and about, but I'm not planning on letting them out of the run for the next few weeks.....will they be ok with this set up for a bit?

Thank you! They have started eating out of our hands, which my daughter is just thrilled to bits with.

The house is recycled plastic and wood, it’s kind of coated in plasticity stuff.....sorry that’s not a great description!

5 hours ago, Janey4 said:

Thank you! They have started eating out of our hands, which my daughter is just thrilled to bits with.

Watch out for little fingers with nail varnish on.

5 hours ago, Janey4 said:

The house is recycled plastic and wood, it’s kind of coated in plasticity stuff.....sorry that’s not a great description!

That's a pretty good description.

I think it's a very nice house :grin: