Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what the problem is with my chicken that I've had since May. She's been losing feathers intermittently for several weeks (they do seem to be growing back) and had intermittent diarrhoea that has gradually got worse. Now the food she eats seems to go right through her without being digested. She seems to be drinking a lot because the ruff around her neck (she's a faverolle) is damp. She did do quite a bit of gaping during the hot weather but we thought it was because she was hot but maybe there was another problem. She has been wormed and no problem with lice. She lives with one other faverolle who looks very healthy and they get on fine. She was always the loudest and greediest, and although she's not listless she is certainly quieter and far less interested in food (but still eating). We took her to a vet who felt her crop and looked down her throat but he couldn't find anything unusual. She's losing weight and I'm now concerned she going to waste away. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Many thanks.

I used marriages pellets with flubenvet. They were both fine after. To be honest I'm not absolutely certain whether she is laying because they are both quite young and only started laying about 3 weeks after I got them. Each hen seems to lay every other day and sometimes I find an egg everyday so I think she is-but perhaps not as regular as she was. She is really going downhill now so I am concerned that I am going to lose her. They have access to plenty of grit by the way.

Also her personality has changed. She used to be the friendliest hen and quite calm. Now she seems a bit manic and doesn't like to be handled so she can't be feeling well.

You could try a dose of Avipro Avian, a licensed probiotic for birds, as food undigested suggests poor or non-existent gut flora. We occasionally get chickens suddenly stop digesting their food and usually it can be traced to eating fallen fruit, because the natural sugars in fruit cause unfriendly bacteria to develop which then overrun the digestive system.

Thanks for the suggestion. I shall get some Avipro tomorrow and see how it goes. She hasn't been eating fruit but it will be worth a try because there is something dreadfully wrong with her digestion and so it could help. Many thanks

A poo sample has been sent off and we're still awaiting the results but the vet said there is no guarantee that it will give us a definitive answer to her problem. I am worried because she is looking so ill now.

I'm sorry it's horrible when they are poorly. Hope you find an answer soon. 

If she isn't eating would things like a mash made up of her food encourage her to eat more? Basically just her food mixed with warm water.  Maybe a tonic of vitamins in their water might help a bit too? I also sometimes give my poorlies a raw egg, always seems to go down well and figure might help with vitamins.

I know with moulting mine didn't like being handled because it hurts them.  But sounds like maybe a bit more going on here. Hopefully some other experts will know more. I've found ringing around vets even ones further afield for suggestions useful as sometimes someone might come up with something.  Plus farm shops; they know loads on chickens.

Hope she feels better asap.

They do moult in stages and it seems to lower immunity so more vulnerable to diseases and parasites. I've found they can less friendly but it resolves when they come into lay again.

Hope the stool sample result comes up with something so you can treat her.

1 hour ago, Plum said:

They do moult in stages and it seems to lower immunity so more vulnerable to diseases and parasites. I've found they can less friendly but it resolves when they come into lay again.

Hope the stool sample result comes up with something so you can treat her.

I did notice mine seeming less perky whlist moulting. I definitely found supporting her through with extra protein helped. She had a raw egg every few days and extra meal worms daily for her hardest bit. Shes now back to her chirpy and huge self after getting a little thinner. Such a relief. 

Hope you guys find answers. 

Thanks for all your contributions.  Here's an update. Nothing definitive turned up on the stool test except for some worm eggs. I was surprised because they had been wormed in June but was told that the eggs aren't always killed. The vet gave me some antibiotics as a last ditch attempt to help her. He gave her the first injection and we had to do the rest each day for the next 3 days. We also bought Marriages with flubenvet pellets as the vet said it was best to eradicate all sources of irritation. Within 2 days Teddy was showing signs that she was feeling better, basically went  around bull-dozering the pen with seemingly limitless supply of energy even though she wasn't eating and still had dreadful diarrhea. Meanwhile, Bunny, our other Faverolle went downhill within one evening and was so listless (stayed in the coop with her beak resting on the perch) and with diarrhea that we rushed her off to the vets for an emergency appointment. She has also been given 4 days of antibiotics. Neither hen was eating so we have given up on the worming programme until they are back to full health. They are barely eating, won't touch their pellets but will gobble dried meal worms, mixed grains (these are usually just treats for the evening) and boiled egg. The Avipro took a full week to arrive even though I ordered on express! I was so angry with the first supplier who failed to tell me that they had a backlog that I eventually ordered through another who could guarantee overnight delivery. I made up a double strength solution for them yesterday. The girls do seem a little better in themselves but I don't think they are out of the woods. I am off on holiday on Friday for 10 days so hoping they will be fine while I am away.