The Dogmother

The cockerel of lurve

I just had to laugh at this posting on the pekinbantams.com forum:

Hi - I'm looking for a new home for Sprout (so called because he only had one tail feather for a while when he first started to de-fluff :) ) He's about 5 months old, or thereabouts.

p7220005dz8.jpg

He's now come to the interesting conclusion that he is the Casanova of the chicken world, but his passion for the larger laydeez is unrequited, I'm afraid. He needs to be able to pick on some his own size!

He's very used to being around people and being handled, but has a bit of a thing for bare feet so you'd need wellies as well as wimmin! :P

We're in Leicestershire, near Loughborough, and would be happy to chauffeur him a reasonable distance to the right place.

Thanks for reading! :)

Bless him 8)

Claret - are there any problems that can be encountered with pekins - that I should be wary of (apart from broodiness) & how many could I fit in a mk2 eglu with standard run? Just so I know how many to reserve for when the newbies move into the eglu ( introductions soon)!

I can't wait to get pekins - with their little Ugg boots! :wink:

Emma.x

Not really Emma, they are feisty little characters, who go broody at the drop of a hat. Like any 'booted' birds, you need to check their legs and feet (if you can find them!) for mites/scaly leg - their leg skin tends to be less smooth than regular chooks. They are low slung, so aren't too keen on very muddy conditions.

You can fit loads in a mark 2, especially if you let them out ofthe run in the day. If you're letting them out you could have 6 in a mark 2 with a standard run or 10 with the extension too. My flock is a mixture of breeds and they are only ever in the run last thing of an afternoon.