Natspringy

RATS IN THE HOUSE!! HELP!!

So heard a huge crash in the night. Went down to rat poo and scrabbling in the hall skirting 😱😱😱

so they are in the house. We sealed what we thought were the entry points.... 

What else can we do??? Any traps that work best. Seriously not happy they are in the hall!

Sorry rushed post. Thanks all 

Definitely get a professional to deal with it. We had them in the wall cavities of our first apartment (converted old church with uncapped pipes in the foundations). When i saw one on the bathroom mat, that was it for me. Our landlord didn't deal with it properly so we moved out, that was our solution! Fingers crossed you nip it in the bud quickly.

Edited by AyeAyeMagpie
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. So we examined the skirting in day light and they cant get in there,  phew! I think maybe it was trying to escape by going at the the wall in the kitchen behind the skirting, so sounded like it was in there, judging from droppings.  Possibly thinking now that it might have been trapped in the house due to our efforts to seal all entry points as the dogs found it hiding behind a bookshelf last night and it fled outside as soon as we opened the back door! Also no droppings today. 

However we will still put down bait and shall spend the weekend ensuring everything is sealed as they definitely have been coming in. 

And then if not council time.

Thanks all :)

My previous next door neighbour had them inside and they were getting in via drains under the house following building work. They got Rentakil out which was pricey. They took some months to source the problem as they were also going up inside cavity wall and had been in the attic undetected for some time.

20 hours ago, Grandmashazzie said:

My previous next door neighbour had them inside and they were getting in via drains under the house following building work. They got Rentakil out which was pricey. They took some months to source the problem as they were also going up inside cavity wall and had been in the attic undetected for some time.

Thank you. That's useful to know. Yes we've heard rentakil cost a bit. Will look around the drains too!

11 hours ago, Patricia W said:

Do you have a cat? Our cat brought a baby one in once. As a present....... so sweet. Not...

Oh no! 😂 we don't. But maybe we should to catch them. That said if they bring them in!!! 😂  I'm guessing it got sealed in when we plugged the holes; our counters just had holes straight to outside! So think the building work moved them and they decided to come on in.

Saw one last night climb the bars of the walk in and swing back into the neighbours garden. Really wish I'd factored rats in when buying a walk in. Think they are feasting on chicken poo as I didn't manage to poo pick last night and it was clean this am. Useful but also disgusting.

20 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

I'd suggest getting a concentrated attack in place with bait boxes etc; we are (allegedly) due a cold winter, and that will deffo bring them in! the key is consistency and just keeping at it.

Thank you. Good idea!

18 hours ago, Plum said:

Our cats used to watch the rats so that doesn't always work.  They were under the floorboards upstairs and parents had to get professional help, it was poison in those days.

Lol. True.  

Gosh they get in everything don't they?! 

Thank you. 

We found an exit into the house which we  blocked just wary of blocking the whole thing and trapping them in. Thinking it would smell awful! If they put bait in how do we get them out? We have set some traps and been filling holes. Think its going to be quite a battle!