Alis girls

Wormed but still have worms!

What did you worm them with and are they long roundworms or small proglottids that look like rice?

If you've recently wormed with Flubenvet I would guess the worms you are seeing are a result of that, I use Ivermectin for internal and external parasites.

18 hours ago, Alis girls said:

I wormed a week ago with Flubernet. They are small and white like human threadworms and still alive, Gross - where do I get Ivermectin? 

A chicken-savvy vet with supply a spot-on containing Ivermectin. Mine prescribes a cattle pour-on called Ivomec Eprinex. Of course, this is not licenced for use on poultry in the UK and is prescribed off licence. I use it quarterly, but it isn't considered a broad spectrum wormer for the worms which can infest poultry, so always use Flubenvet anyway. I just don't do them at the same time, leaving a week between the two medications.

The sign, or not, of worms in their droppings shouldn't be seen as an indication of their wormload. I would worm anyway, but that's just my opinion..

Here's the dosing information from a thread of mine yonks ago:

Scott Shilala isn't posting any more so far as i can see, but here's a copy of his paper:

Ivomec and Your Birds

The Easy Chicken

for beginners

The Standard Disclaimer

First of all I need to say that I do not endorse or suggest the use of any Ivermectin/Eprinomectin based product for use with your birds. They are not FDA approved for use with birds, and it could be unsafe for not only your birds, but for you. The information I'll put forth will tell how I use Ivomec Eprinex, and what it's done for me. It's up to you to decide what's best for you and your birds.

This page was last updated on: December 20, 2006This site was constructed by me, Scott Shilala, with help from the poultry hobbyist community, and support from my wonderful wife, Kelly Jo.

What kind of Ivomec do I choose?

As far as I am concerned, there is only ONE type of Ivomec for birds.

That is Ivomec Eprinex. All other types of Ivomec wormers have withdrawal periods, some as great as 146 days. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!! They have been proven less effective and the negatives outweigh the positives.

Ivomec Eprinex has been shown to be is the strongest, most potent parasite control product available.

It kills 39 stages of internal and external parasites.

When can I eat my eggs after I use Eprinex?

Here's a quote from the Ivomec website...

"Its broad-spectrum efficacy in a weatherproof formulation, margin of safety, zero slaughter withdrawal and zero milk discard, make it a convenient product for parasite control in beef and dairy cattle, including lactating dairy cattle".

Make sure you realize that we are talking CATTLE here and not chickens.

I should also point out that birds and cattle are not the same thing, and that birds differ greatly in external and internal construction. What's good for a cow may not be good for a bird, and vice versa.

Take the zero milk discard and zero slaughter withdrawal with a grain of salt!!!

When we worm our birds, we try to coincide the worming with periods of low egg production. We wait 6 to 8 weeks before using the birds or eggs for the table.

Regardless of whether the "zero stuff" indicates to me that it's safe to eat eggs immediately (and it does), I'd much rather be safe than sorry. I get enough Eprinex on me when I'm worming my birds that I should be parasite free for the rest of my life. That's despite using precautions.

If you want to be completely safe from any effects Ivomec may have on you, the common sense approach would be to stay away from it, period!

What dosage rate do you use???

One cc is equal to one ml.

Eprinex's suggested dose rate for cattle is 1 ml per 22 pounds of body weight.

I have seen dosage rates recommended for birds that go from 2cc per bantam to 5cc per bantam, and everything in between. That is completely wrong.

If you use a ratio, pound for pound, The proper dosage is

.5 cc (ml) per 11 pound bird - Large Fowl

.25 cc (ml) per 5.5 lb bird - Bantam

How safe is Ivermectin???

That's a tough one. I trust Eprinex about as much as I trust any drug. I use Eprinex on my birds with extreme caution. I've been using it for a number of years now and have found it safe and effective.

I've read stories that it can be bad when used on certain breeds of dogs. I've read stories that it's been used on people in third world countries to control internal parasites. I've also heard that it is or will be used in Great Britain as a control for scabies, in one form or another.

You have to read and be educated on this chemical if you are to use it as safely as you can. Read the ads, read the label, ask questions.

You can read about Eprinex at Ivomec's Website.

There are studies, writings, stats, anything you need to know to form your own decision on whether to use it or not.

How do I apply Ivomec to my birds???

On Skin - It's as simple as measuring the proper dosage and squirting it behind the bird's neck, between the shoulder blades. You want to make sure it reaches the skin because Eprinex is absorbed through the skin into a bird's system.

The other reason for this placement is that the bird can't reach this spot with his head. If the dose is placed under the wing or on the breast (as I've heard it suggested) the bird can easily rub away the Eprinex with its head feathers making it less than effective. Put the dose where it will give you the best results.

The dose recommended by my vet is .25ml/5.5lb of chicken, administered as drops on the skin at the back of the neck.

Remember that Ivermectin is also a wormer, not as broad spectrum (so I am told) as Flubenvet or Panacur, so I'd avoid overloading her poor system with anything else when you dose with this.

*not licensed for use on poultry in the UK.

You don't need a vet to prescribe Ivermectin, it can be bought over the counter. As far as I know Ivermectin covers everything that Flubenvet does and more.

The quoted post is out-dated and some of the info is just wrong; just because a product isn't licensed in a species doesn't mean it doesn't have a withdrawal period - if anything the opposite is true.
I use 1% Ivermectin, have never used cc/lbs so not sure about the doses quoted but it will be given on the data sheet with the product you buy or just ring your avian vet.

Ivomec (injectable Ivermectin) and Ivomec Eprinex (pour on Eprinomectin) are used for cattle - I don't use those in poultry (though we injected 400 sheep with it on Monday!).

Ivermectin (for example 1% Spot On) is available online or in pet shops and will treat internal and external parasites at 1 drop per 500g.
Chicken Vet state the withdrawal time is 1 week but to consult your own vet.

20 hours ago, Lewis said:

Ivomec (injectable Ivermectin) and Ivomec Eprinex (pour on Eprinomectin) are used for cattle - I don't use those in poultry (though we injected 400 sheep with it on Monday!).

Ivermectin (for example 1% Spot On) is available online or in pet shops and will treat internal and external parasites at 1 drop per 500g.
Chicken Vet state the withdrawal time is 1 week but to consult your own vet.

Thanks Lewis :-)

I worked weekends and holidays at Cotswold Chickens for a few years during my undergrad degree and we had a regular couple who would always come in or ring up with questions for me about their Silkies. They started calling me Dr Chicken and it stuck!  :lol: