Although the recommendation is for 1 foot of roosting bar space per hen, they all squish up at night. So, so long as there's enough ventilation you can fit quite a few in. The size of the run is more crucial though, and do make sure that your run is covered with a clear, waterproof cover as they will be confined to it in the winter, especially if we have another DEFRA AI prevention lock-down again this winter.

• Thanks 1

Thank you. 

And thank you for pointing out the need for permanent run size to be taken in to account. I was thinking as they will be free range it was just the coop size I had to worry about for them. I will make sure their permanent run area is big enough to accommodate them if need be too. 

I agree with 6-8 being fine in a Cube, obviously the more in there the more frequently it needs to be cleaned out though.

We've had 12+ bantams and LF in there because although they have lots of eglu's to choose from, they all bundled into the Cube!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

DM has a good point about having a run for when we get the (now annual it seems) diktat from DEFRA to keep them confined because of Avian Flu.  A friend with just a cube and fenced off area had a major problem last year as she had no way to comply.  Choose the size of run for the number of chickens you want.

• Thanks 1