carov

Chicken swallowed earring

Hi there,

one of my chickens has just pecked a gold/pearl earring out of my ear (a Christmas present from my husband) and eaten it. I'm not sure we will be able to retrieve it because it is likely to be ground down. Has anybody had a similar experience? Should I be sifting through her poo just in case? How long does it take for things to pass through a hen's digestive system? Also a bit concerned that the post could damage her intestines. Any advice will be gratefully received. Many thanks.

One of my ladies packed out and subsequently ate one of my gold and pearl earrings last summer.

i was worried sick that she would be poorly but she was fine!

Many people asked if I had managed to retrieve the earring but I decided that even if I did find it I probably wouldn’t want to wear it again.

’Pearl’ is now doing really well and I have a new pair of earrings and am very conscious of where I wear them!!! 

I always suggest that people attending my courses remove any sparkly jewellery before the practical part - the beginners tend to wear their best get-up, but by the time they get to the advanced course, they are decked out in chicken-proof clothing and don't bother with the jewels.

One lady on a beginner's course this summer turned up in cut-off shorts, and low cut top and a sparkly necklace; I gave her my fleece to cover her legs so that she didn't get scratched and suggested that the necklace ought to go in her bag or pocket. There's the odd one (there's always one!) where I have to say " could we have your chicken in your lap please? They really don't need kissing!" 😂

• Haha 1