ajm200

New gravity fed drinker is a success

As the girls refuse to use the superglug and bury their other drinker I bought a different type.

it was an instant success.  I think the lime green attracted them to it and they all drank loads so Have obviously been holding out for puddles.  It holds 3l and has a cup nozzle 

It fits on the outside of the run so it is easier to change the water without starting a chicken stampede for the garden 

A661A74E-1AA5-45B6-8DC3-F25A46C4FA5C.jpeg

I got it from Ebay UK.  Delivery was quite fast.  This one holds 3 litres. They do smaller versions that have opening tips so you don’t have to move them to refill but they are only 500ml or 1l.  

They used to bury the traditional drinker several times a day.  This has stayed clean. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cage-Drinker-3-Litre-Bottle-Poultry-Bird-Quail-Chicken-Chick-Hatching-Egg-3L-/191903616679?txnId=1590631181009#UserReviews

Edited by ajm200
Fixed url

32 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

I’ve got one of those round ones with the little dish underneath it, but those get dirty very quickly. This looks like a cleaner alternative. Although I just bought a rather expensive heating pad for mine...

Can you raise it up on a large box or platform away from the mud/bedding? If it is a walk-in run maybe you could get a cheap secondhand able to adapt with a Poundland rubber car mat to to make it no-slip

Hit my first snag with it this am.  Cup was frozen solid and the ice had expanded.so I couldn’t get it back out through the bars.  Easily solved.by filling the rabbits bottle with warm water and squirting the top of the ice.  A jug would have worked too but I had the warm rabbit’s bottle in my hand 

Just wondered how the cup stays clean - my rabble wash muddy beaks in theirs, but then I am able to tip the thing sideways to drain the dirt out.  I also have the glugs and the little blue (water - all colour coded!  LOL) cups with hooks (forget what they are called) stashed around and then with this weather I've gone armed with warm water to break the ice.  They love warm water!