I have an Eglu Go Up housing four medium hens. I find I'm having to clean them out every other day at the moment  - reading as I do that many people just do this once a week - but more concerning is the fact that the eggs laid are covered in mud and poop and take some cleaning off. Now this may be just a winter issue but I wondered if anyone else had this issue?

I only clean it out every week. I lay a layer of newspaper in the pooptray and woodchips in the laying dip. Try and prevent them from sleeping in the laying dip by putting a large pot, box or tup in their way and remove it in the morning. Keeps the woodchips clean(er).

I clean my Cube out every two or 3 days with 9 bantams. I do have one who sleeps in the nest box though (I will have to stop that in the spring) so clean that out every day or the eggs would be grubby.

I imagine with 4 medium sized hens in a Go there’s always likely to be some poo that ends up in the nest bit because of the way the tray / roosting bars are laid out, so unless you cleaned out every morning I think you might struggle to keep the eggs clean.

2 hours ago, mullethunter said:

I clean my Cube out every two or 3 days with 9 bantams. I do have one who sleeps in the nest box though (I will have to stop that in the spring) so clean that out every day or the eggs would be grubby.

I imagine with 4 medium sized hens in a Go there’s always likely to be some poo that ends up in the nest bit because of the way the tray / roosting bars are laid out, so unless you cleaned out every morning I think you might struggle to keep the eggs clean.

The smallest TubTrug fits very nicely in that round pop-hole between the roosting area and the nest box. I put it in there at night an remove in the morning. Clean nest

Another reason why I don't like the Go :roll:

1 hour ago, The Dogmother said:

Another reason why I don't like the G:roll:

😂🤣🤣😂😂 I nearly added “yes DM I know...” 😂