AndyRoo

Soundproofing a room?

Hello all,

Has anyone got any ideas as to what I might be able to add into a room to help soundproof it or reduce echo?

We've had a new downstairs toilet built and I don't think the builders soundproofed it properly as you can hear everything. Before having them tear it all down and replace the entire room with new stuff, can anyone think of anything that I can do to help dampen there noise?

Errrgh... I'm sick of all this building stuff.

:(

Sorry, have just re read this and didn't mean to be facetious! Have you spoken to your local builders merchants to see if there is any kind of boarding that you could put up (or, better still, get your builders to put up!)

Building work can be exciting but you do get to the stage where you just want them to GO AWAY and give you your house back!

I take it they have left already.  Apart from singing loudly - we have been in lots of new builds where you can hear everything including zips from afar!  Not really an issue quite so much in solid structure buildings, but even so - gaps under the door also let the sound waves go for a wander.  Apart from being ultra modern and ruining your probably lovely tiled room - wall to wall egg boxes!  Then I think it's time to pounce on the builder and get them to rectify it.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:35 AM, Grandmashazzie said:

Could you tile it Andyroo. If it is big enough you could re plasterboard it, then tile.  Music on low in hall also would muffle noises. 

It's already been tiled. It's just very echoey.

I've told the partner I think they're just going to have to tear the whole thing down and rebuild it with brick or something.

13 hours ago, Patricia W said:

You need something to absorb the echo.  Lots of fluffy towels? Bath Mat? Curtains? 

I think I'm going to put a rug in there with a soundproofing sheet under it, and a big fern in a pot. We'll have blinds in there eventually. I could probably hang a picture on a wall somewhere too.

Well, I am absolutely LIVID. Today, the plumbers finally fit the new downstairs toilet. As I predicted 6 months ago - having insisted to Rich and the builders the room needed to be built with brick or breeze block to ensure it was soundproof, and being completely ignored and reassured that a stud wall would be enough - what do we think we have learned?

A) The stud wall was enough? or B) Andy was right in the first place, and you can hear absolutely everything going on in that room?

For *bleep* sake! I've just broken Rich's heart by telling him he has to get the room ripped out and replaced with a brick wall or breeze block and the room is not to be used by anyone until it's replaced.

Sometimes I get really, really sick of not being listened to.

*end of rant*

I could have been wrong... though I was almost 99% certain that I wasn't. It really winds me up when things like this happen. Unfortunately they happen a lot in our house because it's often easier for me just to let Rich march to the beat of his own drum and say 'told you so' afterwards than it is to try and convince him he's off-base in the first place.

OHM AndyRoo!  This is what I do.  Find a wall - stud or brick - and talk to it because OHs never seem to listen!  If I had a £ for every "you were right" - or a £ for every time I bite my tongue (which would amass a larger fortune) I would likely be on a level with Fort Knox.

Yesterday I discovered that the chalk pen writing that he used on my lovely rustic kitchen blackboard does not wipe off - because it is a proper blackboard and not the black stuff outside pubs.  It doesn't wash off, it stains deeply.  So now that's ruined - and no he didn't test a small area first.  Worst still - he can't spell and it's driving me nuts!:boohoo:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beantree said:

You can get a reasonable level of soundproofing by filling the stud wall with compressed glass fibre block. Has to be a good tight fit.

Supposedly it is filled with insulation, although I don't actually remember seeing them do it.