Neil Jones

Thwarted by missing parts number: 003.0026!

Dear Forum Members: 

Last week I became the proud 2nd owner of a Cube MK 1 for £300. It’s in great condition for it’s age & the seller even took the time to buy all new fixtures & fittings for it, because he couldn’t guarantee they were all present, as it had been sometime since it was dismantled. A really nice touch as I’m sure you’re to agree: My enclosure is to be extended from 18.3 Square Metres to 23.5. So I’ve been focusing on that first if honest. 

Today I decided I’d start building my Cube & alas the x 2 triangular fixing plates are missing parts 003.0026 arghhhh!  So I emailed Omlet & of course because this Cube is now discontinued, they no-longer have these parts in stock? Does anyone have a nifty solution to this problem & can suggest something I can use instead? 

Not to be defeated, I’m going to take some photos & measurements & see what can be found & created at B&Q, wish me luck.

Neil

FC562F70-4519-443B-9CE0-6F948D4B50C1.jpeg

3BEFB9EE-365A-45B0-BC67-40441A1EA124.png

1 hour ago, soapdragon said:

As someone who struggles to make up one of those cardboard supermarket wine carriers I share your pain! Good luck (you do realise that you'll have to post pics of the finished article now ;))

Well Soapdragon & The DogMother. 

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I took some measurements & photographs & went & sat in B&Q for half an hour & decided to buy £24 worth of joist braces until I found ones that would do the job? As you can see from the picture they aren’t a perfect it, but with some extra screws & a few new drill holes 🕳 in my cube, I created something that helps the front be secured at roughly 90 degrees to its base. As it’s not a super precision item, it’s worked! I’ll return what’s of no use tomorrow & pleased I’ve found an answer. 

So nice to have a sounding board here. 

Thanks ever-so

Neil xxx

E5B8B922-77D6-487E-87C5-D10FC571883B.jpeg

I wouldn't want you to break your cube Neil, so I have to point out that the bottom bracket is doing nothing and the side bracket is holding the parts together with one self-tapping screw. The essential element is the missing diagonal, so you will need to try to copy the original part exactly, which is going to be quite complicated unfortunately. Have you any engineering companies nearby?

It’s holding fine & the Cube needs that bracket less than you think Beantree? My horizontal bracket is tightened to the the vertical in such a way that it helps maintain the 90 Degree angle that the triangular bracket guarantees. If it was a precision engineered thing I’d cut a template & go make a replacement part at the plumbing College I attend, but it’s not. Plus if I found with use that the section in question was under strain I can buy another bracket to brace it diagonally, but that’s over kill I think?

Neil 

There's nothing else holding the front panel from falling forwards is there? You'll be pushing the roof forwards a lot and if you move the run you have all the weight attached to that front panel so I'd imagine it will cause problems at some point.

If you have the option of easily making one at college I would do so...

Lewis both sides have now more than one screw holding it in place? Try not to be the harbinger of doom as the front wants to fall backwards & not forwards & is doing just fine as I re-spray & re-paint.... I’ll make 45 degree brace if it causes an issue but it’s not precision kit at all mate.