Luvachicken

Understanding maggots

So, I know you can use maggots to help clear an impacted crop, but what happens if you feed them for other reasons ?

Lily has been a bit off colour and having lost Zoe recently, I was worried Lily could go the same way.

The vet was concerned and prescribed the usual Baytril.

Lily was having none of that syringe business so I stuck the Baytril on meal worms which she suddenly decided she no longer liked. The next day, I put the Baytril on sweetcorn which she always loves, but also decided she didn't like that anymore either. 

So I got her some undyed maggots, mixed them in the Baytril and then she finally eats them.

My concern is about the maggots doing whatever they do. Are they eating the food in her crop or do they die the instant they are pecked ? I'm finding it all a bit gruesome and don't like the thought of a live maggot finishing the food and maybe nibbling the flesh of my chicken.

She will be fine eating maggots - birds are 'designed' to eat all sorts of insects and critters.

Baytril tastes bitter, which is why she doesn't like it, and it should really be given by syringe; be firm with her and she will stand more chance of getting an accurate dosage.

TBH, unless there's a specific need for antibiotics, you and your vet might be better off understanding what is wrong with the birds or their environment rather than prescribing antibiotics  'just in case'. Look at how they are living/housed, how you clean their environment (and what with) and what they are fed. When were they last wormed, and what with? What are you feeding them? Have you done a lice check recently?

A bad side effect of antibiotics is that they destroy the digestive flora, so food just goes through without the nutrition being extracted. I suggest giving her Avipro Avian 2 days after finishing the antibiotics course. This will restore things as quickly as possible. As DM says, antibiotics should not be prescribed without good reason and I thought that was now standard practice in view of the health risks to humans eating eggs from a hen that has been treated with antibiotics. It's about developing an allergy to an antibiotic that may be needed to be used in future on humans who have become allergic to all the current antibiotics used I believe.

Thanks all.

Last day of antibiotics tomorrow and she is definitely looking more like her old self.

I have the Avipro avian in my chicken cupboard so will give her that in a couple of days time.

They have been wormed recently with the Flubenvet pellets, they have Garvvo as their normal feed and tonic in their water.

I've also checked them for any crawlies and thankfully haven't found any.

• Thanks 1