soapdragon

Arthritis in the hip

I've just been diagnosed with moderate to severe degeneration of the hip joint (ie; OA) and am waiting for a referal to an orthopod with a view to managing it with steriod injections before giving in to the now inevitable replacement further down the line. Am feeling very glum and fed up (I though that the worstening pain was down to a labral tear which is easily cured with keyhole surgery so was somewhat blindsided!)

Has anyone else on the forum had the same thing? If so, I'd been keen to hear other's experiences if you don't mind sharing; feel free to PM if you'd rather not post!

Yes, I do Pilates on the advice of my last physio but am now quite scared of excercising in case it gets worse! The 'super physio' that I saw yesterday who gave me the diagnosis was useless at answering questions so I think I need to see the GP for some answers! 

Let's get together over the summer ,PW. If we post on here maybe there are others who could join us?

• Thanks 1

Funnily enough, I'm on here wanting to buy a 2ndhand Cube as my hip is sore.

I think it's Age UK but they have a really good booklet with hip exercises.  I was told it's all about hip management by the surgeon.  So no running, nothing where I'm on one foot and not too many below parallel squats...

I was told to avoid any surgery on labral tears as that just irritates the hip joint more because of the scar tissue.  

The pain mainly comes from the muscles trying to hold the joint stable, so rest but keep mobile and do the exercises to keep your range-of-motion.  Hope this makes sense.

I have booked a GP appointment for Wednesday to try and get some answers.......I'm going to compile a list of questions for her! Also I have cut my stepper down to every other day but want to continue as it is less painful than walking and I need to be as fit as possible as it increases the chances of a better outcome from surgery if the muscles are in good shape.  I've put myself on Ibuprofen to try and help with the inflammation caused by the bone on bone friction but still feeling very depressed about the whole thing.

Definitely look at exercises in all planes.  A stepper, just like walking and running is a sagittal plane exercise, so some lateral and frontal exercises will compliment it.  Also look at rotation, both internal and external.  My mum has had all sorts of joints replaced, good prehab really helped with the shoulder whereas the knees had no prehab and the results are starkly different.  I'm two years on from my DX and in less pain than I was, so good luck.

I find the stepper less painful as its a gliding movement rather than the thud of a foot hitting the ground as with walking. Also the actual 'step' itself is smaller so I'm def carrying on with that and will see what else the GP suggests. I am very active anyway and am finding that the regular Ibuprofen is helping, thank goodness. Interesting to  hear about the prehab!