Peach

Baby chick lying on its side

Hi I'm new here and just looking for some help/advice.

One of my newly hatched cuckoo Marans will start lying on its side, legs poking out, looking dead. If he wants to get up his legs start flailing around like crazy. He must be able to get up because I've seen him walking around.

For reference he hatched on Sunday morning and did the same in the incubator for over 24 hours. Lying on his side, legs poking out, panting like crazy. I thought we would lose him in the incubator as every time I tried to set him on his legs he cheeped so hard and fell over again. I went out on Monday to get him some vitamins in a bid to help him and when I returned he was standing and walking in the incubator. 

He is now in the brooder and seems to be doing mostly fine, eating and drinking, walking around normally and sleeping face down normally. But then occasionally I find him on his side. 

I guess I'm asking has anyone else had this issue? Should I help him to get back up or leave him to strengthen on his own?

Never had this problem, but lying on his side he will struggle to breath, so you need to get him upright. All you can do is make sure he continues eating and drinking and hope he grows out of the behaviour. As you suspect it could be a vitamin imbalance, but good quality chick crumb will restore that.

7 hours ago, Beantree said:

Never had this problem, but lying on his side he will struggle to breath, so you need to get him upright. All you can do is make sure he continues eating and drinking and hope he grows out of the behaviour. As you suspect it could be a vitamin imbalance, but good quality chick crumb will restore that.

This sort of behaviour is sometimes caused by a Vit B deficit; try it on a teeny dose of NutriDrops.

Hey I just hatched a batch of quails and they’ve all moved to the brooder except for this one that just hatched today. Looks weak and still wet and also lying on the ground kicking his legs and flapping around. Been like this for hours idk what to do

On 2/3/2023 at 3:41 AM, Mia said:

Hey I just hatched a batch of quails and they’ve all moved to the brooder except for this one that just hatched today. Looks weak and still wet and also lying on the ground kicking his legs and flapping around. Been like this for hours idk what to do

Sorry for the late reply.

Hope you have sorted your chick out by now. Did it survive?