Lainey

When should I put winter jacket on my Eglu?

We have one bunny (her companion died a couple of months ago) living outside in an Eglu.  She is always ***** away at night, and currently has wood shavings and hay for bedding (I was told not to use straw because of potential eye problems).  I’m wondering when people would consider it cold enough to put the insulating jacket on?  What else could we do to ensure she is warm enough?  We don’t have a garage or large enough shed.  Thanks 

Edited by Lainey
Change to title

Sorry not sure about the jacket as I don't think they had them when I had my bunny.  I did use a snuggle safe heat pad sometimes but only when it was frosty/snowy.  
I also shut my bunny in at night though I have since seen a video on one of the bunny rescue sites saying they should not be shut in at night.

I would leave the hutch open as the bunny might keep the hutch cleaner if her “toilet” is outside. Some will nip out to do their business and then go back to bed.

what type of rabbit is it? Ordinary short hair or long haired? Long haired shouldn’t be kept outside as their fur isn’t water resistant. The bunny rescue I volunteer at does use straw. Only bunnies with existing eye problems don’t get straw. As long as the hutch is dry and you make sure it has enough bedding and hay/straw, it should be able to keep itself warm enough.

Are you considering getting her a new friend? A local rescue could help with finding a good match.

I never used to shut our rabbits in at night - they are diurnal and that is when they are most active. Being contrary, they would use the rablu as their litter tray and live in the run! I only used it sometimes in the summer and ended up selling it as I didn't think it worked or them. They much preferred their duplex log cabin hutch, which was much warmer in the winter.

• Thanks 1

Thats it, diurnal, I couldn't remember the term.  I only shut the door when the weather was bad as thought I was doing the right thing :( stopped as soon as I learnt better.  I think the best home I ever had for my rabbits was a large wooden dog kennel with attached run, it was secure had a large run area and because they went round the corner to sleep it was lovely and cosy (no drafts) even with the bottom door open in all weathers.