patsylabrador

Menopause and migraines

Blimmin' heck! I think I'm heading towards the end of the perimenopause stage which as I'm sixty I think I've done my fair share and it's time to move along folks! The last month or so I've started getting lots of migraines, not the headaches especially but the weird eye thing. I've had my eyes and blood checked so I think it must be down to hormones. Has anyone else experienced this? Apparently late onset menopause is a boon, having some doubts about that at the moment. đŸ€”Â 

Blooming thing affects each of us differently I think.  I was lucky with the transition, but I do get prickly heat and tend to overheat very quickly.  We now have swapped over in the house - OH feels the cold so constantly has the heat up while I have to throw my jumpers off and wearing t-shirts!  Then he lights the fire while I'm fanning myself!  Headaches not so much, thankfully.  Everything else is falling apart though!:lol:

• Like 1

I suffer from migraines brought on by menopause, and have been having them for 7 years now.  I am beginning to wonder if I will ever be free of them.  However, I don't get problems with my eyes, are you seeing stars or an aura or something?  I suffered in silence for a couple of years, not realising what it was, but eventually I started being physically sick and the odd faint, so I had to see the doc who quickly confirmed it was hormonal.  Now I take very strong tablets, and they do work, but its still not pleasant as I feel slightly peculiar and have to take to my bed for a few hours, waking up as a new person.  I think I would see your doctor to check it out to see exactly what it is, because you might save yourself unnecessary angst and/or pain.

• Like 1

I used to have migraines, but only an hearing aura. Incredibly annoying when trying to teach, as I could only her the cars rumbling on the road, but couldn’t hear a word of the kids in front of me. Not a menopause thing yet, but just “normal” hormonal.

Solution: get back on the pill. I don’t even do stop weeks anymore, as those were giving me the most problems! Just keep taking my little happy pill and no more headaches.

• Like 1

I have always had cluster headaches - a sort of migraine, and not called 'suicide headaches' for nothing. I say 'always' but really for the last 15 years I guess. I am not sure that they are hormonally driven though - I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago, and had them before that. I am on HRT patches, which are good, but don't help with the headaches. What does help is de-stressing and visiting the osteopath regularly for cranial work.

I do sometimes get silent migraines though - a debiltating tiredness with a detached feeling but no pain. Just occasionally, I get visual disturbances, like tinsel, again without pain and they tend to go after about 20 minutes, so if I am driving I need to pull over.

I hope that you can get them sorted Jude.

• Like 1

My mum has just come off HRT and has the same sort of visual disturbance type migraines you describe from time to time. She finds avoiding stress makes them less frequent but obviously that’s easier said than done.

When I used to take the combined pill I used to get awful migraine headaches, nausea and ‘fuzzy extremities’ in my ‘week off’ - I haven’t had one since swapping to the progestogen only mini pill.

That whole “week off” is bogus. It’s not based on any research done at the time, but purely to mimic “normal” cycle so people (aka the pope) would be less opposed to the concept of birth control. The whole 7 days is purely arbitrary, as it was more practical, but the majority of women start ovulation after 5 days, so it will even leave you unprotected in some cases.

When I discovered that, I talked to my GP to see if I could take it without “weeks off” and she was perfectly ok with that.