Chickenlicken

Which is best and why? Eglu Classic or Eglu Go Up?

I have a Go Up, no experience with the Classic. But eventually went for the Up because I have limited space in my garden and an Up fitted better and was more practical for the space I intended it to go.

I appreciate the views of Dogmother and others about durability and the Classic being better in that regard. But like you I wasn’t going to keep loads of chickens and my budget and space were limited. 

So far I’m perfectly happy with my Go Up. Easy to clean and I like that my hens have shelter under the coop. 

I have classics but looked after a friend's chickens for a year in a Go Up.  Like the Dogmother I much prefer the classic - feels much more secure for the hens as well as generally being much more sturdy than the Go.  And I find it much easier to clean.  I really don't like the locking device for the back panel and I don't like the integrated nest box and roosting bars - the nest box is too shallow and everything fills up with droppings much more quickly than the classic.  I found I had to clean the Go droppings tray every day (3 hybrids in it) otherwise the birds and the eggs were all sitting in poo.  With the classic, even in winter, I wouldn't expect to have to clear out the droppings tray more than x2/week.  Classics are pricey but I've bought several second hand ones over the years and even sold a couple of my second hand ones for more than I paid for them originally.  Mine are all now over 10 years old - the outer shell's have faded in colour but the houses are still in great shape and clean up nicely.  So I reckon I've got my money's worth and more out of them.  The same goes for the original Cube - again, ours is more than 10 years old, still going strong, and so much easier to clean than our lovely looking, very solid, but really annoying, wooden house!

If you can - find somewhere where you can handle both a classic and a Go and see which one fits your needs best.

Can’t comment on a Go Up, but I have a regular Go. It was used as a house full time for 4 bantams for 2 years and was fine and is now used for visitors, broodies, youngsters and intro’s. It works fine and I don’t find cleaning it a problem, but the roof cover has become brittle and several bits have snapped off and it’s not even outside all the time. In contrast I have a third hand Cube which must be 10 years old (I’ve had it 4 years nearly) and it’s all still feeling very robust.

Curious... I have had mine since 2014 and so far no problems with bits breaking off or anything. It has faded and the white bits have weathered and aren’t white anymore.

The only thing that has deteriorated are the nuts and bolts with which it is attached to the legs of the stand. They have rusted quite a bit.

11 hours ago, Minnie&Moose said:

I have classics but looked after a friend's chickens for a year in a Go Up.  Like the Dogmother I much prefer the classic - feels much more secure for the hens as well as generally being much more sturdy than the Go.  And I find it much easier to clean.  I really don't like the locking device for the back panel and I don't like the integrated nest box and roosting bars - the nest box is too shallow and everything fills up with droppings much more quickly than the classic.  I found I had to clean the Go droppings tray every day (3 hybrids in it) otherwise the birds and the eggs were all sitting in poo.  With the classic, even in winter, I wouldn't expect to have to clear out the droppings tray more than x2/week.  Classics are pricey but I've bought several second hand ones over the years and even sold a couple of my second hand ones for more than I paid for them originally.  Mine are all now over 10 years old - the outer shell's have faded in colour but the houses are still in great shape and clean up nicely.  So I reckon I've got my money's worth and more out of them.  The same goes for the original Cube - again, ours is more than 10 years old, still going strong, and so much easier to clean than our lovely looking, very solid, but really annoying, wooden house!

If you can - find somewhere where you can handle both a classic and a Go and see which one fits your needs best.

Ditto ^  ^  wot she said.

I have a original classic. Had it since 2007 and it's still going strong it's like  new. Thinking of ordering a cube as we've just rescued some ex- batts and want to give them a bit more room. But the classic I love it's so easy to clean out, i will be sad to see it go after all these years. 

Edited by phenna_family

1 hour ago, phenna_family said:

I have a original classic. Had it since 2007 and it's still going strong it's like  new. Thinking of ordering a cube as we've just rescued some ex- batts and want to give them a bit more room. But the classic I love it's so easy to clean out, i will be sad to see it go after all these years. 

Keep the classic for introductions and 'hospital' cases; I have a 15 year old classic (still in excellent condition) which I keep for that.

• Thanks 1