Leicester_H

Free Range Chicken (to eat)

Hi

We DO still eat chicken portions - I couldn't face a whole dead chicken anymore.

I try to always buy free range, which is fine for chicken breasts. But some recipies need thighs (or whatever) and it seems impossible to buy anything other than free range breasts.

What happens to rest of these chickens ?

Where can I buy free range 'other bits' ?

Hazel

I'd suggest trying a local butcher. I have a butcher who is fabulous, and only stocks free range meat, and will happily chat to me about his meat, where it comes from and so on, and I ever want a particular cut will get it in for me :D:D:D He's a complete star and I can't recommend him enough. I do think though that a lot of local, independent butchers will be happy to talk to you about their meat, much as I love him I don't think my guy is unique :wink:

Alternatively I'd agree with Sarah..........try Waitrose 8) , I rarely buy meat from anywhere other than Steve's, but have on very odd occasions bought free range chicken from Waitrose :D

Thanks - I'll try Waitrose first.

We do have a good (Real Meat) butcher not far away. Free range organic but its VERY expensive. I got some pork form there which was 4x the price of Sainsury's standard pork and 3x the price of their free range pork.

It wasn't very exciting to eat.

I try to support these initiative where ever possible, but unfortunately there are financial limits.

I'd rather go without meat than eat 'cruel' meat.

Ask around the local butcher's, don't just go for those that advertise themselves as free range, organic. We have 2 butchers nearby. One advertises heavily, free range, all organic and massively expensive. Steve relies on word of mouth, stocks very little organic admittedly, but as I said all free range and he's almost always cheaper than any supermarket. Only his burgers are more expensive, and his sausages are the same as expensive supermarket ones, not the cheaper ranges :wink:

I was in Sainsbury's today (daughter is addicted to their creme fraiche coleslaw- no battery eggs and delicious 8) ) and I've become a more regular customer there as a result :roll::roll: . Anyway I glanced at their chicken portions remembering this thread, and they did have free range chicken thighs in their "So Organic" range. They were a bit expensive though, can't remember how much now.

The one thing Asda is very goof for is their Organic meat. And it is a good price. Its about the only thing I do buy in there but they stock most things from organic sausages and bacon to chicken and legs of lamb. HTH. I have a fantastic butcher round the corner from work - a real traditional type, but alas not free range or organic

I suspect that with the supermarkets it is the age old thing of if its not selling well then replace it with something that does (pile it high sell it cheap mentality?)