clucker1

Garden Border Help Required!

I have an oval shaped border on chalk which drains well and is in full sun whenever it is sunny. Any suggestions what to plant. I’m giving it a much needed makeover! I like sweet peas so hope to have 3 lots going on but anything else for all year round colour/design recommendations much appreciated. Chickens in the background!

D9438CCF-4E32-421D-A86E-CC9BAC34BC31.jpeg

Have you thought about the heights that you might want? Perhaps a dwarf fruit tree or two and then low planting around. I am no gardener but do love alchemila mollis (even if I can't spell it!) which is low growing and looks lovely with the dew on the leaves. Salvias and/or verbenas? If it's somewhere you walk past regularly something with smelly leaves would be nice to trail your hand through as you pass - there are some lovely lavenders inc white ones.

Thank you Soapdragon and Patricia. I’m so pleased you are doing so well, Soapdragon,it is a big op and you are doing really well. Keep up those lovely exercises and before you know where you are you’ll be back to normal only if anything like my husband better and stronger with your new hip! Your garden ideas are great, I really like the idea of salvias, verbena and lavender. It sounds lovely. Thank you too Patrica, the chickens aren’t allowed out as far as this (my first lot of 4, 10 years ago were,but I learnt and they now have part of the garden which is fenced off. They do love under the trees in the picture as well.) I really like the scented idea too, Will get looking into whether to grow the plants from seeds or buy baby plants. In the past I’ve been victim of buying 1 of this and 1 of that, but must now be better behaved at the garden centres!

Herbs too - nice to smell and nice to use!  Helebores, spring bulbs to throw in the mix, then perhaps a Daphne that has scent over winter and some are evergreen, viburnums.  Maybe things for bees and butterflies.  Broom does well on chalk soil.  Peonies, philadelphus, lilies.  Actually it sounds fun to redo a border.  So many options.