eggysoldiers

New setup advice

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I use one of the large tub trugs, but shallow.  This was Skye who went on to almost 11 years old.  We also used our old sandpit which was very popular.

20140314_122434.jpg

She’s the spit of my Duck 😍 (almost had a VERY inappropriate spelling mistake there 😂). I’m currently using the smaller trig than that in the recovery run for Shirley (see photo in ‘Another Dog Attack’ thread). In my permanent WIR I have that size trug inside an old car tyre. It takes up a lot of space but they love to perch around the tyre and it’s nice and heavy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll get the run setup and then work out where to put a trug!! Confirmed my order of three Wyandotte bantams yesterday!! Super excited. 

no idea how I’m going to get run sorted with no garden waste and no tip though!

I’ve noticed a lot of you say paving slabs for under the run material.... why is this? Just to stop the mud mixing in? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eggysoldiers said:

I’ll get the run setup and then work out where to put a trug!! Confirmed my order of three Wyandotte bantams yesterday!! Super excited. 

no idea how I’m going to get run sorted with no garden waste and no tip though!

I’ve noticed a lot of you say paving slabs for under the run material.... why is this? Just to stop the mud mixing in? 

Yes, chickens dig. A lot. So if you don’t pave underneath the chickens will just mix in whatever stuff you put in the run.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2020 at 11:54 AM, eggysoldiers said:

Lovely photos!!! And stories, definitely all have personalities!! 

I have my eglu. Well I have the run, they forgot one of the boxes and I failed to check so that’s arriving today!!

I have tentatively got Wyandotte bantams reserved (pretty good for the current crazy). Now I just need to get everything set up and ready!!! 

Hi Eggysoldiers, where did you got the bantams from? I am near Falkirk too and would love to know of good breeders around here if you don't mind sharing. 

Perfect. Thanks for the advice! I have one paving slab. Just need to try and find some more without breaking any social distancing rules 🙈

The bantams are arriving on 9th April so better get my finger out and sort the run.

they are only going to be 14weeks old. Eeek. So the breeder has said to add vitamins to their water. I have lifeguard tonic. Does anyone know if that’s ok? 

Themadchicken - I’ve probably been bad as I’ve found a breeder that delivers. There’s also a new PoL hybrid delivery at hensmadeeasy in fife. What are you looking for?