eggysoldiers

New setup advice

28 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Some and some, it depends on their breed. I would clip the flight feathers on the left wing of any bird and keep checking them for regrowth for about the first 6 months. Video here to show you how.

You'll need to allow a large enough run so that they can all be accommodated, with plenty of room, 24/7 if necessary.

Thanks dogmother. And yes, that’s why I’m thinking bantams May we’ll be the way forward. Would hate for quarantine and them to be cramped.... 

Do you think three bantams is the limit? 

My bantam light Sussex is fairly good at flying, but only to get on the top of the food shelter.  She doesn't bother flying much but she sticks her neck out and runs like she's diving for the winning line in a race!  The little ones are mainly pekins so they don't really fly - flap around but not fly.  The little bantam faverolle is a great little egg layer and she sort of flaps enough to get up and over small boundaries.  I think if there's nothing tempting, they don't usually bother flying.  I've never clipped their wings.  The bigger evil twins (breed unknown but possibly hybrids) do fly, but although I clipped their wings at first, I haven't done it since the feathers grew back.  Dusty brahma big girl does not fly!  She runs and flaps but that's it!  Smallest pekin is now broody so has been hoiked out of the nest box a few times.  

I have to say that the pekin eggs are the creamiest and tastiest ones I've ever had next to the duck eggs.  Nothing wrong with the others, just personal preference.

Have fun with whatever you choose.  They are a big learning curve and always throw things at you that you need to look up, even with a lot of homework prior to getting ours - if any get bumblefoot, then DM has a brilliant method without surgery.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

My bantam light Sussex is fairly good at flying, but only to get on the top of the food shelter.  She doesn't bother flying much but she sticks her neck out and runs like she's diving for the winning line in a race!  The little ones are mainly pekins so they don't really fly - flap around but not fly.  The little bantam faverolle is a great little egg layer and she sort of flaps enough to get up and over small boundaries.  I think if there's nothing tempting, they don't usually bother flying.  I've never clipped their wings.  The bigger evil twins (breed unknown but possibly hybrids) do fly, but although I clipped their wings at first, I haven't done it since the feathers grew back.  Dusty brahma big girl does not fly!  She runs and flaps but that's it!  Smallest pekin is now broody so has been hoiked out of the nest box a few times.  

I have to say that the pekin eggs are the creamiest and tastiest ones I've ever had next to the duck eggs.  Nothing wrong with the others, just personal preference.

Have fun with whatever you choose.  They are a big learning curve and always throw things at you that you need to look up, even with a lot of homework prior to getting ours - if any get bumblefoot, then DM has a brilliant method without surgery.  

I don't mean to derail this thread but Valkyrie we couldn't have some pics of your girls now they're a bit older could we - especially your faverolles?? 

Edited by SeramaSilly
mistake

Bantams are cuddly too! They fit nicely under your arm! We wing clipped ours; had been told by the breeder that they wouldn't fly but, after spending nearly 2 hours trying to coax Korma out from under a large bush outside opposite neighbour's house, we got the scissors out. It was stressful; although we live in a quiet close...by the end of the two hours there was me, 2 neighbours, a passing boy on a bike, the postie and a bloke in a builders van who had only driven down the close as he was lost. 

44 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

Bantams are cuddly too! They fit nicely under your arm! We wing clipped ours; had been told by the breeder that they wouldn't fly but, after spending nearly 2 hours trying to coax Korma out from under a large bush outside opposite neighbour's house, we got the scissors out. It was stressful; although we live in a quiet close...by the end of the two hours there was me, 2 neighbours, a passing boy on a bike, the postie and a bloke in a builders van who had only driven down the close as he was lost. 

This made me laugh!! Wings clipped to start with I reckon 🤣

I may have sourced some Wyandotte bantams for early April. I do quite fancy Wyandotte’s. Although Pekins also look lush! 

do any of you have perches in the classic run? I wondered if this would work or be cramped!? I can see a top up omlet order happening for a cover, perches and I really want a swing still - no idea why!

also need tips for teaching the whippet that bantams are friends! Will see how he is with them. They may be kept apart. 

• Like 1

I'll have a go tomorrow.  Not really taken shots of them individually lately.  Too horrible and they've had soggy bellies in the grass!  Bessie wasn't broody this morning, but she's back to hogging the nestbox.  Most are being very adventurous and exploring the garden further than they have ever been.  I think it has helped that for the most part the evil twins are a little better, so the banties are keeping close to them for protection.  They don't seem to be scared of the ducks so much, but when Duke comes marching along doing his steam roller sounds, they are still a bit wary - still safety in numbers.  The banties were in among the primroses today.  Wish I had my phone on me then!  

• Like 1

1 - Curlywurly and Bessie Bassett

2 - Fizz the Faverolle and Peppermint Patty.

3 -  Sherbet and (Finger of) Fudge

4 - Evil Twins - Frida on the left and Evil Evil Inga on the right.  They are large birds.

5 - Dusty brahma - looks very small here!

6 - Fizz the Fraud because she was poorly and I took her to the vet - only for her to perk up and the vet said she was in terrific health!  He laughed when I said oh good grief she's such a fraud!  They do like to keep you on your toes sometimes!

20200323_075122.jpg

20200323_075146.jpg

20200323_075305.jpg

20200323_075204.jpg

20200323_075201.jpg

20190925_183650.jpg

Um, the wild peeps were hanging round for some leftovers in the background with the evil twins.  My wild chickens.

• Like 1

Oh thank you Catsy - I never knew what they were.  They were supposed to be Swedish flowers - but they sure are nothing like!  When Inga isn't around, then she happily hangs around with Dusty.  Inga is a bad influence but Frida doesn't half whinge - I thought the Orpies were whingey girls but these girls whine for the Universe!!!

Ahh it isn't a breed!  Well I think they may be hybrids.  Goldy brahma that the fox had hold of was a gold partridge but she was OK.  But Squirt the buff Sussex was a madam - until she got old and then she was a darling.

Yes, the Sussex is a tad bigger than the other bantams, but after seeing Chicknboosmum's big Geraldine, then she's tiny!  About 2/3rds of the size of the evil twins. Fizz is so darned cute and probably the bottom of the pecking order.  She is a little darling, very sweet and probably the best layer out of the bantams.  Curly is the grumpiest bantam.  She whinges and wants to be the only chicken in the village.:lol:

11 hours ago, Cat tails said:

That’s exactly the reason why I had to ditch Pickwick the first! Such loud and screeching whining! Drove me absolutely nuts!

Pickwick was a Dutch bantam, Pickwick2 most likely a “Drents hoen”, Dutch breed. But both definitely gold partridge.

:lol:  Sorry - shouldn't laugh!  I used to panic about the neighbours when Squirt (buff Sussex) kicked off - she wanted to be alone to lay but demanded a no go zone of about 50ft!  I ended up shoving her in the eglu with the door closed until she settled.  But now I can breathe - they are so far away from the house it doesn't sound loud at all - apart from when I am close-by.  Frida whines prior to egg laying.

Lovely photos!!! And stories, definitely all have personalities!! 

I have my eglu. Well I have the run, they forgot one of the boxes and I failed to check so that’s arriving today!!

I have tentatively got Wyandotte bantams reserved (pretty good for the current crazy). Now I just need to get everything set up and ready!!!