eggysoldiers

New setup advice

Hello

i am hoping to get some girlies to help with my garden weeding and obvs for eggs. The garden is quite small but I actually think the bottom “terrace” of the front would be perfect for them and not too obvious for neighbours etc. 

The local supplier sells Go’s but not Classics, however I think I would rather have a classic. Having read most of the forum I think that’s the consensus here too. My weird questions are:

- can you clean the classic out without pulling the tray out, so just by flipping the lid? This would add to the run space.

- do any of you still have a classic plus run (3m) as your main setup? 

thanks 😊 

Thanks dogmother! It does help.

I assume you can’t take it out without sliding it backwards? I don’t suppose you know how much space you need to leave behind the house to allow you to remove? I’m planning on putting it with its back to our fence and want to try and fit a 3m run in front (and I’m aware the run door is at the end). I’m still a bit worried that will be tight space wise for 3 chooks (they will be allowed out, but I know you always allow for lockdown etc) 

3 hours ago, eggysoldiers said:

Thanks dogmother! It does help.

I assume you can’t take it out without sliding it backwards? I don’t suppose you know how much space you need to leave behind the house to allow you to remove? I’m planning on putting it with its back to our fence and want to try and fit a 3m run in front (and I’m aware the run door is at the end). I’m still a bit worried that will be tight space wise for 3 chooks (they will be allowed out, but I know you always allow for lockdown etc) 

I would put it alongside the fence if that is possible. you need at least the length of the classic + some to get the tray out. Roughly where are you located? I have a classic, currently stored, if you want to take a look.

3 hours ago, eggysoldiers said:

Soapdragon I have literally just had this conversation with OH.... The thing that put me off was the egg size being smaller and baking etc.....

They are not THAT much smaller........most of ours were around the same weight as shop bought 'small' eggs though far more delicious! I bake a lot and just learned to adjust instructions to accommodate the slightly lighter eggs ie; where it asked for three medium eggs I'd use 4 banties.

• Thanks 1

Oooh now you’ve got me confused!! I do love wyandottes but that definitely would not tick the “non broody” box 🤣 Do you get blue laying bantams? I remember the eggs from a cream crested legbar were so beautiful! Loved those wee punks too 

dogmother - I am near Falkirk in scotland so probably not near you! The reason for going perpendicular to the fence is the garden is terraced. I’ve re-measured and we have 4m so can leave space at the back and the far end and OH can always re-fashion the run door if needs be.

might message the hen lady and see what she has. I hadn’t anticipated a coronavirus run on chooks! Was always my plan for the spring 🙈

1 hour ago, eggysoldiers said:

Oooh now you’ve got me confused!! I do love wyandottes but that definitely would not tick the “non broody” box 🤣 Do you get blue laying bantams? I remember the eggs from a cream crested legbar were so beautiful! Loved those wee punks too 

dogmother - I am near Falkirk in scotland so probably not near you! The reason for going perpendicular to the fence is the garden is terraced. I’ve re-measured and we have 4m so can leave space at the back and the far end and OH can always re-fashion the run door if needs be.

might message the hen lady and see what she has. I hadn’t anticipated a coronavirus run on chooks! Was always my plan for the spring 🙈

Everyone is selling out of hens - mostly to existing keepers getting more birds in for the eggs.

Dogmother I have just found this out. Both suppliers near me have deliveries tonight and will be sold out by tomorrow night! The world has genuinely gone mad!

one of them has hatched chicks still, but unsexed. I’m wondering if I should maybe wait. I thought spring was a good time to get them 🙈

The one that has unsexed eggs is the purebreed breeder I know of. I’ll have a look for others tomorrow, but would rather use someone I know is good/reliable..... 

10 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Have you tried any breeders of pure breeds? They will probably be less likely to sell out as they aren't produced commercially and less folks have pure breeds. If you have a Classic with the standard sized run, then you can get 3 banties in there.

....also, will have the 3m run so one extension. Its a shame, but if the worlds gone chicken mad then I’ll just have to wait. Can’t help worrying that half the chooks will be unwanted in a while though....

2 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Decisions, decisions, decisions 😎! Is there a breeder/supplier near you that you could visit to look at the various breeds.....sotto voce - light sussex, light sussex, light sussex 😂!

So soapdragon.... I’m confused... Do you light light Sussex 😂😉

• Haha 1

So I have ordered my eglu classic, in purple... Much to OHs despair. We have the area for it nearly cleared and will site it on woodchip/aubiose... I have realised that my maths is shoddy and if I want in at the front or the back then the 3m run is going to be super tight..... So (ignoring the fact there are no chickens available anywhere) I am now seriously having the bantam debate!

the supplier near me usually has bantam Wyandotte’s and Orpington’s so I might wait til she hatched some of them.... OH is a bit sad as he has heard tales of big friendly chooks and yummy eggs so I need tales of friendly bantams and yummy eggs please!

also any ideas and pics of a standard eglu set up to keep it interesting for them. I’d love a chicken swing and a dust bath but I think they might have to be outside the run!!

thanks for all your help!! 

3 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Have a look in the back pages of Practical Poultry mag and look on various websites to find breeders in your area. Pure breeds are still available here in north Oxfordshire.

I’ll go find practical poultry. Sadly north Oxfordshire is too far ;-)

I have bantam Wyandottes. Their eggs are delicious and not much smaller than a medium bought egg. They are really hardy birds - mine are over 7 now. 

If they’re going to be mostly shut in an Eglu Classic run the DEFINITELY go for bantams.

PS - my OH didn’t want chickens at all, but yesterday when we found our pekin alive after the dog attack he was punching the air 🥰

82BF0338-BD9B-4786-BE77-0BD107C5ADFA.jpegOH and Duck

Edited by mullethunter
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

I have bantam Wyandottes. Their eggs are delicious and not much smaller than a medium bought egg. They are really hardy birds - mine are over 7 now. 

If they’re going to be mostly shut in an Eglu Classic run the DEFINITELY go for bantams.

PS - my OH didn’t want chickens at all, but yesterday when we found our pekin alive after the dog attack he was punching the air 🥰

82BF0338-BD9B-4786-BE77-0BD107C5ADFA.jpegOH and Duck

Awwww look at duck 🥰

The plan is that they will be out in the garden most of the day (OH works from home so I feel safer than if he didn’t)..... Another random question, are bantams better at flying than chickens? Does clipping their wings encourage them to stay within the fences? 🙈