Themadchicken

Poorly chicken

Hi, our oldest hen is poorly. Yesterday I noticed she had a little bit of discharge coming out of her mouth when I picked her up. She seemed a bit disoriented and never took herself to bed in the coop at nighttime. This morning hubby pick her up and a lot of liquid came out of her mouth. We since have found out that she probably suffers from foul crop and she has been indoors in our bathroom since lunchtime. In all this time she has not produced a poo. She had a little bit to drink but no food. Is it normal that she won’t poo? The picture is of her about an hour after she had the last liquid coming out of her mouth just before 4 pm.

780FFF65-8089-4750-9AE1-F1C241F3CB1E.jpeg

I’m afraid that sounds like a bad case of sour crop. It sounds like you won’t really need to, but try withholding food for at least 48 hours and just allowing her access to water. Feel her crop and if it fills up with fluid you can gently tip her forward and if necessary massage her crop so the fluid comes out through her beak - be careful though to make sure you don’t suffocate / drown her in it. After 48 hours you can give her small amounts of moistened pellets and water and see how she gets on. I’m afraid she doesn’t look good though - I think a purple comb like that can often be a sign of a heart problem so maybe the crop is not the only issue.

To be honest your best bet is to get her to a vet ASAP.

How old is she?

A crop full of liquid can mean a few things, it will really stink if she has sour crop. Given that she's an older hybrid I would guess she has a mass in her belly which is causing fluid to back up to her crop - if she's not eating she won't be pooing.

As above I'd starve her overnight, have a feel (and smell) of her crop in the morning. If you're worried I'd give your vet a call, they will be open for emergencies but should be able to advise.

That's serious!. Her crop needs emptying as it's sour and poisoning her. She has a digestive impaction which will be an internal problem which could be very difficult to resolve. You could try just giving her water after her crop is empty but in my opinion If you can't get her to a vet immediately the kindest thing is to pts.