eggysoldiers

Not liking the nest box

So our three little bantams have all started laying.... But one is not a fan of the nest box. She tries bless her, hoes in and out about a hundred times. But ends up laying in a flower bed 🙈 It worries me if she’s locked in the run as she gets all stressed. I do wonder if they scratch the sawdust out of it so it’s not comfy? 🙈

any tips? 

Some hens are just nervous layers. I had hens that would pace around for an hour whining, before finally laying. I sometimes just locked her in the coop for a while, so she would settle down to lay. With the door closed, she would just fuss on the nest and lay her egg.

12 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Some hens are just nervous layers. I had hens that would pace around for an hour whining, before finally laying. I sometimes just locked her in the coop for a while, so she would settle down to lay. With the door closed, she would just fuss on the nest and lay her egg.

I did debate this. Maybe I’ll try. The flower bed isn’t the most convenient 🙈 Thanks

And some are just picky. Duck, my pekin, would only lay in the wardrobe in the half renovated spare room during her last laying spell (obviously 🙄) and while we’re working from home and he girls have the run of the garden most of them chose their own nest sites rather than the nestbox. They’ll get used to having to use it when we’re back at work though. 

If you want her to lay in the right place you’ll just have to shut her in there and ignore her desperation to come out!