soapdragon

I think our Syrian has had a stroke?

Our lovely long haired Syrian, Bogbrush, is suddenly acting a bit strangely. He has never been the quickest of movers and had a tendency to waddle a bit but we noticed yesterday that he is quite unsteady on his feet and seems to be swaying and stumbling when he walks and just unsteady. Although he is eating and drinking and quite inquisitive still, to me the 'damage' seems to be neurological....could he have had a stroke? If so would he be in pain? Obviously we don't want him to suffer and I am worried that his ears are now permanently back and his eyes are slightly narrowed...would this indicate pain? I have picked him up several times and he hasn't been squeeky or made any noise at all so I am hoping he is pain free. 

Boggers is 2 months shy of 2 years old so clocking on a bit - I will ring the vet in the morning and assume that I'll be able to take him but just wondered if anyone could throw any light in the meantime.

Could he have an ear infection? Would be a bit much to take his temp I guess...

Does he tilt his head to one side?

Check if he still can see fine, by batting your hand towards his head and see if he reacts. If he “just” has an ear infection, then he should still see fine.

Found this Omlet article: https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/hamsters/owners_questions/falling_over

Thanks for that, CT. He isn't head tilting and I tried gently stroking each ear in turn and there were no reactions so I presume therefore not sore. I've watched him moving again and sometimes he looks nearly normal (tho a tad side to side wobbly)  then has a big stumble and rights himself again. It's almost as though the brain is just not quite able to work the legs - on a few occasions it looked as though one of his back legs was giving way. He's also looking a bit more bewildered than normal. The fact that he is moving and reacting to us and eating gives me hope but I'll be onto the vet first thing. 

Just checked on Boggers and he is the same as last night....no change at all. Interestingly, when we fed him some treats, although he took them straight away with his mouth, he kept dropping them. Another sign of co ordination problems? I'll speak to the vets this morning but, if it is a suspected stroke, he is eating, drinking, moving and inquisitive then there is probably nothing that can be done........not sure that physio with a hammy is a possibility!?

Edited by soapdragon
Haste

Spoke to the vet this morning; she said that it did, indeed, sound like a stroke. Boggers is still wobbly and unsteady but not, seemingly, distressed. We weighed him this evening  (169g - tho' I'm not sue what he should be!) and will weigh every day to make sure that he is still eating. If not then we'll have to consider the worst option.

• Like 1

Worst option considered and we have an appt this afternoon at 4.45pm. I strongly suspect PTS. I heard him drinking about half an hour ago and decided it was a good time to weigh him as I wouldn't then have to wake him up. As soon as I picked him up I noticed a smell and, when I turned him over, his undercarriage was covered in poo. I got some damp cotton wool pads and tried to clean him down but, as he was struggling to get out of my hands, he put his head forward - normally he arches back - and I noticed a big, purple lump in the throat area. Having cleaned him up as best I could I rang the vets and YS and I will take him over in a few minutes. I cannot think they'll do anything but PTS.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Patricia W said:

Sorry, Soapy.  Just picked up on this thread.  So sad.   I still remember all our hamsters.  A short life but sweet.  Xx

We still remember all ours too! We didn't even have Bogbrush for a year and he had come from a someone who bred and showed hamsters....he was in a tiny cage when we went to get him and clearly hadn't been handled very much and so was always nervous. He was a year old and the breeder wanted to re home him as he was supposed to have been a stud hammy but apparently wasn't, ahem, interested! 

I have just finished cleaning out and disinfecting his cage before consigning to the garage.......we'll get another (probably dwarf Russian or Chinese) at the end of the summer. I always drive home from the vets with the desceased in floods of tears vowing NEVER to get another one but, somehow, always do! I just wish they'd have the decency to peg out face down in their food bowls; of 9 hamsters that we have had all but one has had to make the final journey in the car to be PTS and I always feel so sorry that they've had a stressy car ride then unfamiliar environment.