MaxBaz

Help with Pigeon deterrents - eating hens food

I have 7 wonderful hens who live in a Cube with an Aviary attached - BUT I also have two very very annoying wild wood pigeons who have learned how to get inside the aviary no matter how small I leave the door open to allow the hens to come and go from the garden during the long lockdown days when I am at home.

They are driving me absolutely crazy - and eating so much of the Omlet food - what should I do? I have tried closing the aviary and leaving the back of the Cube open for the to get the food inside, I have tried wedging the aviary open just enough for the hens to get in, I have tried the foot peddle feeders but nothing seems to work! Any ideas? The wood pigeon at the moment is brighter than the girls in getting the food......

I've kept hens for twelve years, but even that amount of experience hasn't solved this problem!

Get a cat?

I too have an overly friendly wood pigeon. And he will eat all the chickenfeed when given the chance. I also have a cat btw.

Maybe give them the scare of their lives and close the run on them? Or just keep the run closed for a few days, making them find their food somewhere else?

The problem may soon get worse if the two are feeding young in the nest? We've had major problems with wood pigeons in UK and the only solution found was someone with an air rifle, something you can't use in France. We had terrible problems with sparrows at our last place which cost a lot of money. Perhaps 50 starved when we left?

Think yourself lucky it is only pigeons.  Our runs are in the paddock and after hubby cleverly created the pophole too large, I found all three ewes and four lambs in there eating the layers pellets one day!  Have now put a frame inside the hole that they cant get through but the cooks can!

• Haha 1