Guest Penguinmad

Its HEEEEEEERRRREEEEE!!

Today's the day.

I just phoned nightfreight and ITS OUT FOR DELIVERY. :lol:

Fingers crossed everyone that they find my house! I checked and they do have satnav and a computer system that gives messages from the depot so I gave some very specific instructions and checked they had the contact number (they did but one digit was missing!). :roll:

Of course I'm at work so the excitement is all Mums.

Oh and its mucky weather so it won't be going up yet.... :cry:

Edited by Guest

What colour have you ordered? Green? :)

I'd like to have one, but still can't afford it. :( Maybe one day? I'd like to be able to have more chooks, but we can only have up to three with the Mark 1 Eglu. Oh, well, have to keep saving!

Please let me know how you get on with it, including moving it. Is it with or without and extension?

It's green.

Its without run as I spent half the summer building a big run (and yes the extention is already planned - even though the chooks are never in there).

If I sell my Mk2 eglu which has only a few month use then it won't have cost very much as it's a recon on for £335.

No its the cube that was £335, thats the price now for a recon. If you search recon in the shop you get it up on there. Of course there was postage on top.

It was delivered nice and early this morning whilst I was at work. I had phoned nightfreight to check that it was on its way and that they would find my house, they managed that without even calling. I came home to find a lovely pile of boxes and it was lashing down with rain so I couldn't go outside and put it up.

I did get it all out of the packaging though, had to check it was all there which I think it was. Mind you the roosting bars already had the end ones off - I see what everyone meant now about them being flimsy. I shall put my mind to making more with some thicker wood as I have read in lots of places that chickens like something thicker to perch on.

1468174905_48ed889d8b.jpg

I am also thinking that although it will be on the path I might put it up outside the run and cut a hole in the mesh. At the moment the run is like a skating rink (clay soil!) and also I can't quite stand up straight in there (I'm just a little stooped Mum can stand up straight). If I plan to do this then I can put it up indoors and wheel it out (we have french doors) rather than having to put it up in the weather. I might even not attatch it to the run, It cold stay up by the house so we didn't have to go out in the weather. The run would still be available for daytime use if we needed to shut the girls in (we rarely do).

All those boxes were soon put to good use, this has been a house, a school and a dog kennel!

1469033766_0bd2cb9af0.jpg

penguinmad it will not take you long to put it together and they are great and the green looks lovely in the garden.

is yours damaged at all? and has it been used? mine was £54 more expensive for the same, (green recon, no run) i am delighted with mine but alittle :evil: that had i bought it a week later i would have been £54 better off (and i could have made loads of roosting bars, sealer to stop it leaking and more chooks) :(

my little boy did the same with the boxes, then i posted the eglu off in them, so save them if you are going to sell your eglu so you can offer postage.

Ooh, exciting Pengy! :D

I did consider puttingmine in the run, but it's much better on the outside - can egg collect and empty the poop trays without having to go in the big run. Can also peep in and see the chooks at night without going in the run. Not that I'm averse to going in the run, but unless I take food with me they all launch themselves at the door and make a bid for freedom! :roll::lol:

i put mine outside the run as my little boy checks for eggs at least 20 times a day and i dont want him in the run all the time which i now have to keep firmly locked as my little girl tries to eat the layers pellets and they both put them in the glug and block it up!! :roll::roll::roll:

he did climb on the cube yesterday so he could look over the fence and now i am worried he might climb on the roof of the run.

i put mine outside the run as my little boy checks for eggs at least 20 times a day and i dont want him in the run all the time which i now have to keep firmly locked as my little girl tries to eat the layers pellets and they both put them in the glug and block it up!! :roll::roll::roll:

he did climb on the cube yesterday so he could look over the fence and now i am worried he might climb on the roof of the run.

What is the fascination for filling up the glug with pellets? :? That's exactly what my youngest does if he gets into the run! :roll:

I'd be interested to know how your girls manage with the ladder. I've modified mine because of Arrietty's legs, and she still struggles. I've put a really long ramp, made from a scaffolding plank, so that its easy peasy to get up to the door. But I originally made a plywood ramp that I cable tied onto the ladder becos my girls didn't like the ladder, the steps were too far apart.

But my Orps are quite big hens, and the others aren't small.

i put a large log under the end of the ladder so they didnt have to jump up and they seem to have got used to the ladder, even the new girls who came on friday have got the hang of it (although they are two sussex and two maran who are huge compared to my others) the first night one of the marans tried to get in from the roof and one of the sussex tried to get in underneath by head butting the cube!!! :shock::shock: silly chooks :lol::lol:

you can see a photo in my album of the log and ladder and my little boy giving them a demo

ithey are two sussex and two maran who are huge compared to my others) the first night one of the marans tried to get in from the roof and one of the sussex tried to get in underneath by head butting the cube!!! :shock::shock: silly chooks :lol::lol:

you can see a photo in my album of the log and ladder and my little boy giving them a demo

thats interesting becos my sussex have no probs - they sorted everything out really quickly, as did my Maran. its the Orps that have the problems!

Mine have a branch ladder instead of the original cube ladder, but they have no problems getting in. It seems harder to get out, almost as though they can't see the step under their feet. Not a problem for most of them, they just hop down gracefully, but Beryl insists on walking down the ladder step by step. I've watched her waving her foot around trying to find the step then she decides to just go for it and misses ending up in a heap on top of the hebe bush. :roll:

I love Snowy's branch ladder too, I'm thinking of doing something very similar with my cube, certainly to get it on the outside of the run (well I've built it now and it is outside so..)