bellekatz

So Proud.............

I am so proud of my darling daughter and her friend :D:D:D She is 14 and her friend 15.

Last night she and her friend went to give Toby a quick run around the block. After 20 minutes they weren't home so, (thinking they must have lost the dog or something equally dire but typically teenage) I phoned to see where they were.

It seems that they were walking down the avenue at the top of our road when they heard a woman screaming that her baby was dead.......... Naturally, they went back to find out what had happened :? The lady had two babies, one three months and the other 20 months - it seems the older had had a convulsion and she thought he was dead so was hysterical as you can imagine. ( she was on her own at the time) the girls did no more than check the baby - who was still breathing - phone an ambulance and stay with her until the ambulance arrived. Both had done bits of first aid before so i am now thinking they should do a proper course. the paramedic said the baby had had a febrile convulsion and carted mum and babies off to be checkout out at hopsital. I am so proud that they went back to help and stayed with her. Not all teenagers are thugs these days after all....................... Do you think I should let their school know as ai am sure they woudl be proud of them as well???

I would be extremely proud too BelleKatz. You definitely should inform the school, though they probably won't want you too. :roll:

Perhaps they could pop back and see how the lady and babies are today?

You should be extremely proud of your daughter, and if i were you, I'd be shouting about this from the rooftops.

Teenagers get such a bad press nowadays, and your daughter and her friend have just proved that not all teenagers deserve the unfortunate impressions that most people have about them!

Well done to your daughter and her friend

You must be very proud

I will echo what everyone else has said about how nice to hear some positive stories about teenagers

What a brilliant example they've set, and what caring girls 8):D - that poor woman must've been at her wits end. I think the lasses deserve to be taken out for a meal. Perhaps that poor mum needs some help around the house and they could offer, even if it's just picking up her shopping.

Do please send them on a first aid course - it will make them so much happier and confident if they ever need to use their skills. British Red Cross also offer a brilliant counselling service to first aiders, where they can phone up and talk through what they've experienced, as Christian says - it can often be a shock for the first aider.

I've held a first aid certificate for over 30 years now and have used it on countless occasions - it is invaluable when looking after children too.

Wow, I'd be really proud of them too. Why don't you try and contact the ambulance station, they might want to send the girls a "well done" letter as well, you could find out the crew details from the hospital if you wanted to take it that far.

It's really good to hear nice stuff about teenagers, it's too easy to think that the ones we read about all the time are the majority, when in fact they're not, they're just the noisy minority!

Well done girls :lol:

Mrs B

Laura, its caused by the childs inability to control its own body temperature.

The brain normally is able to do this from the age of 5.

We are taught to remove the childs clothing, except nappy and give cool drinks, Calpol or similar to lower the temperature. If the fit lasts for more than 5 mins (an eternity if you are watching it) then seek medical help. The advice used to be, to cool the child down with a cool sponge, but we were taught that this confuses the brain into being cold and increases the child's temperature again.

There you go, can't believe i remembered so much! :shock:

I'm sure a nurse will be on soon to advise more.....

You are supposed to "tepid sponge" it is less of a shock to the system than a cold sponge and won't induce shivering etc, which will raise the temperature again.

If your child has a febrile convulsion, you should seek medical help, even if you manage to get the temperature down.

Wait for five minutes??? :shock: .... my goodness as a mother if I watched for five minutes I'd be the one in need of emergency help... I guess emergency services don't want to have people panick, as some fits stop quickly and the child is fine, but still when it's your own baby, or any baby and you're there to see it, five minutes would feel more like five years!!!

It's fantastic to hear that story, it's a lot of calm and presence of mind for two teenagers, and that lady whose baby had a fit will always remember them... I am myself on my own all the time, as Hubby works abroad and we have no family nearby, and I know first hand, with four kids, what it feels like to handle emergencies alone (mostly with three kids in tow on top of the injured one)... What your daughter and friend did is simply wonderful.

You are supposed to "tepid sponge"

Thats what i meant Egluntine, but couldn't think of the word! :roll:

We were still taught NOT to tepid sponge though. Not sure what they do in hospital, but on board (with work) we aren't allowed to.

i know i said 5 mins but that if what we are taught by medical professionals. ANY fit, be it febrile/epileptic etc over 5 mins get help quick!! (easier said than done on a plane).

I would think that if it was the first time your child has a fit, then medical assistance should be sought straight away. If you have a child who regularly does this, you will know what to do and probably not feel the need to call for help every time. Experience is everything!

Agree with all of the above - febrile seizures are so scary to observe but keep your head and don't panic these convulsions are rarely serious in their outcome.

Maintain your childs safety at all times - the temptation is to pick them up but you need to ensure that their airway remains clear and scooping them into your arms means they end up on their backs cradled in your arms - so put them on a flat surface - usually their cot or floor if necessary - get them onto their side without injurying them and remove any objects that they might bang ie. toys or furniture. DO NOT under any circumstances try to put anything into there mouths to stop them biting their tongues - you do more damage trying to do it.

Stay with them whilst they have the seizure - they rarely last more than a minute or two. Strip them off to their nappy and get someone to open the window or get a fan on them. Tepid sponging is fine but don't soak them!!!

When they come round they will be grumpy and tearful and want to sleep - let them it's not a problem - they've used a lot of energy during the seizure and it tires them out. If they are awake keep them cool, get them to drink cool fluids and give them the recommended dose of calpol and brufen.

If it is your childs first febrile convulsion they must be seen by their Doctor ASAP as sometimes it is necessary for them to have a short stay in hospital for observation and investigations. It's also vital that the cause of the fever is treated be it viral or bacterial.

Hope this helps

Forgot to say well done to the girls - teenagers are only ever mentioned for their bad behaviour never for their good - it's taken a lot of bottle to do what they did and they and you have every right to feel proud. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: