soapdragon

Recommendations please

I'm tearing my hair out on two fronts and looking for products that actually WORK so wondered if the wise Forum folk could help with the following;

1. Hilda the Stunt Hamster is chewing again. In spite of her HUGE 100cm x 50cm x 50cm very expensive cage, lots of toys, hay box and food scattered (not in a dish) for her to forrage for she is still gnawing the plastic. I've looked on Amazon for anti gnaw sprays but most are for dogs so I'm not sure if suitable for rodents. All have very mixed reviews and are quite expensive. Can anyone recommend a product that will stop her chewing the plastic? I had thought about rubbing the area with vinegar or using some of the stuff that is supposed to stop nail biting but not sure about suitability for wee furry ones.

2. YS is 3 weeks short of his 13th birthday and, suddenly, his lovey thick hair is incredibly greasy. He washes it daily but, only hours later, it's oily and rat tailed again (and smelly!) I can't find any shampoo that will cope with it. It's proving impossible to find shampoo specifically for oily/greasy hair; in my youth shampoo only came in three variations...dry, normal and greasy but the words 'oily/greasy' just don't appear on bottles any more. I asked in our little village chemist and they couldn't find anything on their order list that looked even halfway suitable, I'm avoiding other shops due to Covid but cannot find anything on the Tesco site either. He's not spotty and his skin is fine but his hair is just horrible.

Thank you, in advance!

No advice on the hamster but didn't want to read and run. What about something bitter like lemon?

Not a hair expert but is he washing his hair too much? A quick google says Jumping Juniper from Lush is good, maybe try not washing it as much, esp while not seeing too many people in lockdown!

• Thanks 1

I think some hamsters just love to chew - is there something plastic you can put in his cage that he can chew that is replaceable and then hope he chews that instead of cage parts ?? Mine would never chew the wooden chew toys or branches but just certain bits of the cage - normally the plastic houses or domes.

As to hair - sorry no idea but maybe just a case of trying different shampoos  - is it the same or even worse if you just wash with water and no products ??

• Like 1

Maybe give Hilda something made of similar plastic she CAN chew on? Plastic hamster house or a bit from the other cage?

Also the Syrian I had needed more “free ranging” so maybe let her out of the cage in a supervised area. In the end I used Ferplast tubing to connect a Ferplast cage to the Qute.

Get your son a haircut and stop him touching it a lot (if he does). And although the first reaction will be to use MORE shampoo, using less is actually better.

• Like 1

Thank you people! I will try smearing lemon juice onto the plastic tray of Hilda's cage, Lewis; great idea! She has many other things to keep her busy...I bought a big chewy thing with lots of textures and hung that in the corner of the cage where she has been nibbling but she just elbowed it aside and ate the cage anyway!!!

Sadly can't get ES a haircut due to lockdown but its a short back and sides anyway so probably not much more to come off - the three 'boys' had their hair cut the week before Christmas unlike their stupid mother who didn't think and now looks like Medusa on speed!!! I'll keep trying various shampoos...........and check how much he is actually using!