Debbie1962

Substrate

Hard to say for sure, as it does depend on the size and nature of your hens. Bigger is always better. They will definitely appreciate double the size. And you can utilise the height of the run by adding perches. They can be the fancy omlet types, but I have just spare bits of wood and branches.

Nature wise they are fine. I don't see any evidence of bullying of anything like that. I guess as they have come from the same clutch and been together so long they seem to tolerate each other very well. They are are super natured friendly girls. As I said I can't extend anymore than the 1 metre extension. That will already mean I have to prepare a new area and have it flagged by professionals at a cost of roughly 200-300. I don't begrudge them it but if it's no good then there's no point in paying all that money out.

The 1m extension would definitely be better for your hens, and as Cattails says it would allow you to add a perch creating even more usable space and hens love a perch to be up on to do their feathers or have a nap.

However, and I feel really bad being pessimistic, I don’t think it will help significantly with the run staying clean for any prolonged period. I think you’d need to go quite a lot bigger for that which is clearly just not possible for you to do.

The run has a ‘stable door’ type door at the end doesn’t it? So I think in your position I’d get a lightweight long handled rake and broom, go back to using something cheap and reasonably easy to remove (straw or miscanthus or similar) and just totally skip the whole lot out as often as I could.

Consider keeping them on paving slabs only and providing a good sized dust bath. Like I said, large part of my run is on paving only and I just sweep the paving. Sometimes you have to  hack some bits loose, but especially in summer, it’s just a sweep through.

• Thanks 1