Luvachicken

How to keep them quiet whilst worming, ideas please.

At this time, this is the most chickens I have ever had and sometimes they can get a bit noisy.

Usually, I chuck in a handful of something yummy and this keeps them quiet enough for quite a while, especially at 6am.

The trouble is, I need to worm them and not give them any treats.

How on earth am I going to keep them quiet for a week ?

Can I give them just a teeny bit of treat to keep them quiet first thing in the morning ?

I would start to cut down on treats over a week. So they don't expect so much anymore. 
It is the reason why I do prefer the oral dose in the beak method better than through feed. My dad used Panacur, which you add to the water for 5 days. This was also prescribed by his vet and I might try it next time myself too.

I ordered them Marriages pellets with Flubenvet already added.

Got fed up of mixing the powder with their pellets and olive oil and finding most of the powder at the bottom of the food container at the end.

We had a couple of very dirty bottoms (one so bad she needed a bath) so decided worming would be ok.

They also haven't been wormed for quite a long time.

1 hour ago, Patricia W said:

Panacur is not licensed for use as a wormer in the U.K.  Flubenvet is the only licenced one here.  No egg withdrawal period because of that 

Panacur doesn’t have withdrawal either. It keeps surprising me that there is so much difference between two countries. Flubenvet isn’t even a thing they sell here!

I think part of the issue is you may be conditioning them to be loud!

If they make a lot of noise and you reward them (give them treats) then they'll continue to do it so I would ignore them as best you can.
We hatched some Call Ducks last year which free ranged every day for months and were really loud when not let out. It got to a point that if they weren't out at 7am they'd call really loudly until they were let out :roll: :lol: 

• Haha 2

This is how I ended up providing breakfast… too scared one of the neighbours would complain, so with every peep, they got food chucked at them. It’s not so bad at the moment. I just put some mixed feed in their pecky toy at night and they just busy themselves with that in morning. But I used to be up at 5 am in summer to give them their breakfast… 😅

41 minutes ago, Lewis said:

I think part of the issue is you may be conditioning them to be loud!

If they make a lot of noise and you reward them (give them treats) then they'll continue to do it so I would ignore them as best you can.
We hatched some Call Ducks last year which free ranged every day for months and were really loud when not let out. It got to a point that if they weren't out at 7am they'd call really loudly until they were let out :roll: :lol: 

I did wonder if they were clever enough to work that out.

They also make more noise when they see me, especially when I get in from school.

Molly also makes a noise for cuddles - could she have learnt that too ?

23 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

This is how I ended up providing breakfast… too scared one of the neighbours would complain, so with every peep, they got food chucked at them. It’s not so bad at the moment. I just put some mixed feed in their pecky toy at night and they just busy themselves with that in morning. But I used to be up at 5 am in summer to give them their breakfast… 😅

Yes, I've thrown some treats in the night before and it really does help keep them quiet first thing.

Do you think they would fall for it if I put the Marriages pellets in their treat ball ?

So yesterday, I didn't worm them but they didn't get any treats either and they were relatively quiet.

Filled up the food containers with the Marriages pellets last night ready for this morning and I didn't hear a peep out of them.

Whether they were excited about the new food or what I don't know, but so far, I have been impressed with how quiet they have been.

• Like 2