Luvachicken

August Bank Holiday recipe swap 2021

They all sound lovely!  I especially like the fact that reading between the lines, a lot of local recipes have been exchanged from different parts of Europe.  If I had been part of it, one lucky recipient would have been making something out of cabbage and/or salt cod!

Enjoy!

On 8/28/2021 at 12:02 PM, Daphne said:

They all sound lovely!  I especially like the fact that reading between the lines, a lot of local recipes have been exchanged from different parts of Europe.  If I had been part of it, one lucky recipient would have been making something out of cabbage and/or salt cod!

Enjoy!

Salt cod is very popular here, not a fan myself.

Fingers crossed Luvvie it’s just a cold.

OH was chopping a bush and has been stung under his eye by an Asian Hornet, he looks like I’ve given him a right hook but honest gov I didn’t 😀

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Yes, the French eat it as brandade de morue, which I have to say I do like.  My favourite over here is bacalhau a bras, which is shredded salt cod cooked with onion and grated/matchstick potato, bound with egg and served with olives (just in case you haven't had enough salt) and parsley.  I love it.

The hornet sting sounds horrible, I hope he is OK.  Hornets of any variety are enormous, but I know Asian ones are supposed to be a bit bigger again.

Yes, a bit.  Its basically slighly softer than a fishcake with no crispy coat, except the bits which might have stuck to the pan.  Its served as a fishy/potatoey/oniony/eggy messy mound on the plate.  Easy to eat (no chewing) and very tasty, savoury but not salty as you soak the fish first and slow cook everything.  If you have sweet onions it helps and finely slice them.  Its a bit like having bubble and squeak in terms of comfort food, although the taste is nothing like that obvs!  Its also a favourite with several pescatarian friends.

On 8/28/2021 at 3:37 PM, Ursula123 said:

Fingers crossed Luvvie it’s just a cold.

OH was chopping a bush and has been stung under his eye by an Asian Hornet, he looks like I’ve given him a right hook but honest gov I didn’t 😀

Hubby doesn't have Covid but will have to wait and make cake tomorrow.

I hope your hubby is OK Ursula - I got a mosquito bite on the eyelid once and that was bad enough, so I dread to think how painful his eye is. 

Everyone's bakes look amazing so far !!!

That was THE most delicious cake I have made in a long time ❤️

We couldn't wait for tea so had some for lunch.

Not sure what happened to my icing, so the middle picture doesn't look the best,  I think it was a bit too runny but soon firmed up (after I'd put it on the cake)

You could hear the softness as you cut it (it was so soft the piece on the plate doesn't do it justice)

Never had cake like it, soft, fluffy and extremely tasty !!

Thank you lovely chicken friend xx

20210831_110102.jpg

20210831_120532.jpg

20210831_132221.jpg

• Like 3

Well. I think I probably need to have another go at this - I struggled with the crust - maybe didn’t knead it enough and it was so crumbly! I managed to roll it out between no it’s of cling film in the end. Then I wasn’t paying enough attention and have slightly burnt the apricots on one side. Sorry swappee and Thankyou for sending me enough speculaas spice to have another go!

All that said - it tastes delicious and I’m taking it for a team meeting tomorrow 😀

C610A21E-87D0-4E8B-8BCF-8ED652F8139B.jpeg

• Like 4

I made my Apero 'cake' this afternoon.....I must admit that it wasn't what I would normally have baked and I wasn't really sure how it would turn out but OH and I ABSOLUTLEY love it! The boys haven't tried it yet but we'll tempt them into a slice at supper and post pictures later. Thank you, Swapee, for pushing me out of my comfort zone/baking rut! I'll definately be making it again and have resolved to be more adventurous!

I'm wondering if this Apero cake is freezable? The buttermilk comes in 220mls and the feta in 200g so I have enough to make another batch but would have to freeze it or it would be VERY bad for our waistlines!  Luckilly I had sun dried tomato and roasted peppers in oil in jars from Lidl so masses left and ordered 2 courgettes as I wasn't sure what size would arrive and we usually have chorizo in the 'fridge anyway. Not sure if freezing would affect the texture.