The Dogmother

Tax credit claim

I wonder whether any of you have any experience of this, or any advice to offer...

As single parent, I claim Working Family Tax Credits (or whatever they are calling it today), I have been told by a friend that I can claim back some of the cost of Rosie's holiday childcare (it is with an OFSTED approved supplier). On this friends advice, I have sent off a letter to the IR, detailing the cost (receipts attached) and the average number of days per year that she's at club.

Has anyone here managed to claim against this expense (costs me over £300/year)? It'd be nice to be able to recoup at least some of it.

You are entitled to up to 75% of your childcare costs with an approved outfit, up to £150 a week (Mine's £156 for my two to go school hours!) with the CTC, and it's paid separately to your WFTC, but I'm not sure it's back-dateable.

Watch very carefully, when you fill forms out, use a good strong black pen and leave no doubt about the difference between a six and a zero etc. They use OCR software to read the forms, and cocked one of my claims up by the tune of an £11000 overpayment. And then they got it wrong again, and I've just finished paying them off. In fact, i've just started a claim up again, it's taken me 18 months to get over the trauma of the last one.

Mine only go for an extra hour and lunch over the free 5 sessions a week as they do a double shift on Monday, and it costs me £16.10 a week. Not sure how much of that I'll get back but I'm looking forward to the WFTC award. You can do a calc on their website to see what you can claim, try that using theoretical figs to work it out.

Clare - we've just got invloved in the voucher scheme through a company called Bentley Jennison. (After a whole year of thinking about it, AND you've just reminded me we HAVE to apply for Family Tax Credits too. :roll:)

They pay your child care fees out of your pay packet (up to a certain amount) directly to the child's carers before you get taxed. We have to top it up by around £30 a month.

I think my employer uses Busy Bee's Vouchers. Not sure how the vouchers work, as Darren pays directly by DD.

Thanks all for your advice and suggestions. I am going to wait and see what the IR have to say. I'm not sure how the voucher scheme would work for me because her childcare is only in the school holidyas and therefore not at regular times or dates.

I have sent them details of the clubs OFSTED registration number, the amount that I pay (copies of receipts too) and an idea of how many days per year (average) she attends.

This club at the sports centre is fantastic - we get a discount as we have a one parent family membership, so she and I can go to any classes or swim sessions for free and she gets half price holiday club. So for £9.50 per day, she attends from 8.30am to 5.30pm, gets a lunch, drinks whenever she wants them. They do craft activities, sports, swimmming each day and have an exhausting time :D

hi claret

i use childcare vouchers from sodexo and have used busybees in the past (but their custome service was pretty poor) anyway i can take upto £243 from my wages before tax and national insurance. it is all done online, hubbies company pays 6% fee for the service. i can then pay the nursery online. it does save me a fortune. i am not sure if it is only for nursery though.

also there is a way you can claim 80p in the £1 for nursery fees if you are low income but we earn to much for that.

Hi,

I have my holiday care taken into account in the overall average monthly costs. When you fill in the annual review form it asks what your average monthly childcare costs are. I added up my monthly nursery costs and holiday care over the year and then divided by 12 (months) the figure therefore takes into account the holiday care. hope this is helpful.