I was just talking to Vicki about painting the roosting bars with plasticote to make them more poo proof. She has posted a great photo of her blue roosting bars. I am painting my cube ones green and my eglu ones purple.

Does anybody else have funky roosting bars?

A few of us have, but you should try Plastidip rather than Plasticote as one person tried both & the Dip version (which also comes in a spray) proved much more durable.

if you do a search you will find a few threads on this, & a link to the Plastidip site.

I have been dull & just done mine in clear, but it works a treat 8):D

I was just talking to Vicki about painting the roosting bars with plasticote to make them more poo proof. She has posted a great photo of her blue roosting bars.

You're too kind :) . Now I've thought about it, it was actually Plastidip I used - sorry :oops: - it did take a lot of spraying and one can only did one set of bars (but they do look good and are easier to clean!)

i have been experimenting with making roosting bars, i have almost given up on making a plastic set as the plastic keeps splitting. i have made some great recycled wood ones and i have just varnished one set. it has been in the cube for two nights and there is hardly any poo on them at all but i might try plastidip on one of the other sets to see which is best. how much do you think i would need for cube roosting bars?

i must say the colours look great 8)8)

I needed a whole can (aerosol 311ml) to do the bars of a Mk II eglu - 2 coats, but each fairly thin. I could have done with more. I've had a couple of big splinters come off the bars since which is annoying - I could have done with some spare spray to fix that.

Where have people bought their Plastidip? It's really pricey if you buy online because of the P&P. I got mine on eBay which was a bit pointless because the seller was Plastidip.co.uk (I didn't notice :oops: ).

i have used plasti-kote spray before on a metal basket, i got it from halfords. i have just looked at the can and it says ideal for use on wood as well. i might get some tomorrow and try it out as it might be cheaper than paying postage. i wonder how safe it will be to use with chooks though? :? from what i remember it didnt cover a big area with a 100ml can but i think they sell big cans for £5 or i could have multicoloured bars :D:D

If you are buying Plasticote, go to B&Q. They do a jar of paint on stuff in loads of colours for £2.65 a jar. I bought two jars in khaki which is really eglu green (it matches so perfectly) and although the jars are small, the two covered my cube roosting bars with a bit spare. I had originally bought the spray but it didn't cover well. The brush on paint is time consuming but really worth the effort. The bars now have a really thick coating.

Does the spray stuff take long to dry? I'm going to do the bars.. only had the cude for 6 days but the bars are the worst thing about it I feel! I also find I have to put shavings in the trays to soak up the poo. I cannot leave it for two days because it's usually sticking up through the bars which doesn't seem very hygienic! I think in an ideal world the bars would be higher than they they are giving space between the trays and the roosting bars, and the roosting bars would be spaced more so that the birds are able to roost properly! On saying all of this, they seem perfectly happy when I check on them!

I left my bars overnight to dry although I think it says on the tin it'll dry in a couple of hours. I did it in the garage - it can be a bit messy and you need to watch you don't spray other things in the process as the paint can spread quite far and wide.

Re the poo trays, I have an eglu which may be different, but I line the tray with newspaper then put shredded paper in. Each morning I push any poo through the bars with an old scoop I keep under the eglu. Every 2 days or so I flick the worst of the poos into the compost bin so I really only clean the tray out once a week (it could go longer).

I agree it would be good if there was more space under the bars.

If you use Aubiose then you really only need the thinnest sprinkle, as it is very absorbent.

I don't line with paper any more either 8)

I guess the thinking behind the bars is that if there is more space,then the hens may not get cleaned out as often by some people,which wouldn't be good for them.

It would need a much bigger slide out gap too :?

Its wonderful stuff, totally natural & used a horse bedding,so readily available from horse supply places.

Its cheap,lightweight & very absorabnt - think its made from hemp or something.

Some people use it as a run flooring,others like myself use it in the nest box & poo tray.

It really is great stuff & I can tell you that if you try it,you won't look back 8)